WhatsApp Finds New Home in Facebook, Deal Sealed for $19 Billion
By Aditya Bhat | February 20, 2014 6:52 PM EST
Popular text messaging application WhatsApp has struck an acquisition deal of $19 billion with social networking giant Facebook. The deal has been billed as the biggest internet acquisition in the last decade.
Facebook buys WhatsApp.
This deal will convert WhatsApp's co-founders, Brian Acton and Jan Koum into billionaires and will also see Koum, the CEO of WhatsApp join the Board of Directors at Facebook. Facebook will be paying with $12 billion in stock, $4 billion in cash and $3 billion in restricted shares.
"WhatsApp is on a path to connect 1 billion people. The services that reach that milestone are all incredibly valuable," Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and CEO said in a statement. "I've known Jan for a long time and I'm excited to partner with him and his team to make the world more open and connected."
Facebook is ironing out anyone who might be a challenge to their dominance in the social networking turf. In 2012, it bought photo-sharing service Instagram for about $700 million. However, Snapchat turned down Facebook's buyout offer of $3 billion in 2013.
Meanwhile, Acton, the co-founder's Twitter account says that he was rejected by Facebook when was searching for a job in 2009. Notwithstanding Facebook turning him down, he along with Koum, his Yahoo colleague went on to create WhatsApp that was sold to his rejecter.
"The acquisition supports Facebook and WhatsApp's shared mission to bring more connectivity and utility to the world by delivering core internet services efficiently and affordably. The combination will help accelerate growth and user engagement across both companies," Facebook added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan