Two iPhone 6 Variants With Larger Screens, 64-bit A8 CPU By TSMC Coming This Fall?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 20, 2014 6:47 PM EST
Consumers may have to wait for the two iPhone 6 variants with larger screen displays and 64-bit A8 chipset this year.
The coming clash between the rumoured iPhone 6 from Apple and Galaxy S5 from Samsung is brewing to be a classic heavyweight match for 2014 and new renders of the handsets afford us an exciting glimpse of the bruising battle.
The report said Apple will launch 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and phablet with 5.6-inch screen panel. The phablet was an experimental smartphone to test the waters. The report did not disclose the official name of the two handsets nor divulged the official release date of the two phones. Various sources claimed Apple was experimenting the new sizes for its smartphone ranging from 4.5-inch to 6-inch panels.
The publication added the two iPhones will include a Corning Gorilla Glass ditching the heavily rumored Sapphire screen display. Contradictory to the report, some sources said Apple may be ready to produce over 100 million sapphire panels for mobile devices this year, although the iWatch may be the primary beneficiary of the new display cover technology.
Reports noted iPhone 6 will come with A8 processor. But the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company will be solely in-charge with production of the processors. It seemed the rivalry between Apple and Samsung grew and the latter was taken out of the picture.
Moreover, Inquisitr reported the South Korean company was reportedly struggling to produce the yield required by Apple using 20 nanometer technology. TSMC has much more experience in this area and can produce the CPU chips much faster.
Other iPhone 6 rumored features are A8 processor, iOS 8 and fingerprint sensor. Also, Apple patents give out strong suggestions on what consumers should expect in the next Apple handset. Some of the features hinted in some patents are curved or flexible screen embedded with liquidmetal material, sapphire glass screen display, improved Siri and gestures control.
iPhone 6 release date is still unconfirmed by Apple. But there is a growing speculation iPhone 6 will be announced in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference, which is the original release date window of Apple's handset. Other reports claimed the handset will be released in September, a year after iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were launched.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports