Two iPhone 6 Variants With Larger Screens, 64-bit A8 CPU By TSMC Coming This Fall?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | February 20, 2014 6:47 PM EST
Consumers may have to wait for the two iPhone 6 variants with larger screen displays and 64-bit A8 chipset this year.
The coming clash between the rumoured iPhone 6 from Apple and Galaxy S5 from Samsung is brewing to be a classic heavyweight match for 2014 and new renders of the handsets afford us an exciting glimpse of the bruising battle.
The report said Apple will launch 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and phablet with 5.6-inch screen panel. The phablet was an experimental smartphone to test the waters. The report did not disclose the official name of the two handsets nor divulged the official release date of the two phones. Various sources claimed Apple was experimenting the new sizes for its smartphone ranging from 4.5-inch to 6-inch panels.
The publication added the two iPhones will include a Corning Gorilla Glass ditching the heavily rumored Sapphire screen display. Contradictory to the report, some sources said Apple may be ready to produce over 100 million sapphire panels for mobile devices this year, although the iWatch may be the primary beneficiary of the new display cover technology.
Reports noted iPhone 6 will come with A8 processor. But the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company will be solely in-charge with production of the processors. It seemed the rivalry between Apple and Samsung grew and the latter was taken out of the picture.
Moreover, Inquisitr reported the South Korean company was reportedly struggling to produce the yield required by Apple using 20 nanometer technology. TSMC has much more experience in this area and can produce the CPU chips much faster.
Other iPhone 6 rumored features are A8 processor, iOS 8 and fingerprint sensor. Also, Apple patents give out strong suggestions on what consumers should expect in the next Apple handset. Some of the features hinted in some patents are curved or flexible screen embedded with liquidmetal material, sapphire glass screen display, improved Siri and gestures control.
iPhone 6 release date is still unconfirmed by Apple. But there is a growing speculation iPhone 6 will be announced in June at the Worldwide Developers' Conference, which is the original release date window of Apple's handset. Other reports claimed the handset will be released in September, a year after iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C were launched.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys