NBA Trade News: Luol Deng for Josh Smith or Danny Granger Swap Being Explored; Cavaliers Could Send Forward to Pacers, Mavs or Pistons
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 20, 2014 6:47 PM EST
The Indiana Pacers are reportedly interested to trade for Cleveland Cavaliers All-Star small forward Luol Deng before the trade deadline, multiple sources reported on Wednesday.
"Forward Luol Deng's reluctance to commit to a long-term extension with any team before July free agency makes it unlikely that the Cleveland Cavaliers can find a willing trade partner before Thursday's NBA deadline," Yahoo Sports reported.
Deng during his time with the Chicago Bulls
Already boasting the toughest defense in the NBA, the Pacers are looking to add more punch to their offense by acquiring Deng, who is averaging 17.1 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game this season.
The Cavaliers previously acquired Deng after sending disgruntled center Andrew Bynum and drafts pick to the Chicago Bulls in January. However, there are reports the All-Star forward is not interest to commit a long-term deal with the Cavs, prompting the team's front office to shop him before he hits free-agency this summer.
The Pacers, who coincidentally already acquired Bynum, are among the teams rumoured to be interested in trading for Deng. Indiana has been shopping small forward Danny Granger and could still send some future draft picks to sweeten up the deal.
The Dallas Mavericks and Detroit Pistons are two other teams that expressed interest on Deng. The Mavs are currently in the thick of the Western Conference playoff race, while the Pistons are looking to re-tool their roster after last summer's acquisition Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings fail to live up their hypes.
"The Cavaliers have had conversations with several teams, including Dallas, Detroit and Indiana about Deng, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Nevertheless, there's no traction on a deal and no team seems inclined to give up valuable assets for a player who could walk away in free agency," the site added.
The Mavs might have no enticing talents to woo the Cavs. On the other hand, the Pistons have tons of talents to work out a deal. The Cavs previously showed interest in getting Smith last summer, and it won't be a stretch to see J-Smoove playing alongside Kyrie Irving for the remainder half of the season.
Young center Greg Monroe is another player that could be dealt to Cavs, who are looking to acquire a solid interior presence after their Bynum experiment ended up as a disaster.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen