Poor Visibility Affects New Zealand Airport Due to Fog, Disrupts Anew Flight Travel Plans
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Flight plans of hundreds of travelers were again disrupted on Thursday as poor visibility surrounded New Zealand's Wellington airport for a second night due to fog.
Radio New Zealand said the airport is again hard to see from 100 metres away.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
Air New Zealand has advised travelers flying in and out of Wellington to expect another round of delays on Thursday evening.
The flight disruptions were spurred by a low-lying sea fog on Wednesday evening that emanated from Cook Strait island, pushed by gentle southerly winds.
That evening, 29 people spent the night at Wellington Airport.
Airport authorities were forced to cancel, delay or divert a number of flights to Palmerston North or Paraparaumu.
About 4,000 passengers of Air New Zealand have been affected by flight cancellations on Thursday.
Greg Thomas, Wellington Airport spokesman, advised travellers to check with the airport's Web site or their airline for updates since air travel could be disrupted for some time throughout the country.
The thick fog, now on its second evening, has shrouded the entrance to Wellington harbor. Ships going in and out have been forced to sound their foghorns to warn their movements.
Air New Zealand advised domestic travelers to consult the departures information on the company's Web site or call the contact centre on 0800 737 000 for further information.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Yuka, A Woolly Mammoth, Is Just 39,000 Years Young, And Wears A Reddish Coat
- Army Of Moonwalkers May Soon Be Ready As Michael Jackson Reportedly Cloned Himself Before Death
- Social Media Conspiracy Fires Up Due To Ancient Engraving On Mars [Watch Video]
- Aussies Love Robots More Than The Japanese Do
- Nanoplug Invisible Hearing Aid Comes With High-Tech Features And Nano-Battery That Recharges Instantaneously
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles