Poor Visibility Affects New Zealand Airport Due to Fog, Disrupts Anew Flight Travel Plans
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Flight plans of hundreds of travelers were again disrupted on Thursday as poor visibility surrounded New Zealand's Wellington airport for a second night due to fog.
Radio New Zealand said the airport is again hard to see from 100 metres away.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
Air New Zealand has advised travelers flying in and out of Wellington to expect another round of delays on Thursday evening.
The flight disruptions were spurred by a low-lying sea fog on Wednesday evening that emanated from Cook Strait island, pushed by gentle southerly winds.
That evening, 29 people spent the night at Wellington Airport.
Airport authorities were forced to cancel, delay or divert a number of flights to Palmerston North or Paraparaumu.
About 4,000 passengers of Air New Zealand have been affected by flight cancellations on Thursday.
Greg Thomas, Wellington Airport spokesman, advised travellers to check with the airport's Web site or their airline for updates since air travel could be disrupted for some time throughout the country.
The thick fog, now on its second evening, has shrouded the entrance to Wellington harbor. Ships going in and out have been forced to sound their foghorns to warn their movements.
Air New Zealand advised domestic travelers to consult the departures information on the company's Web site or call the contact centre on 0800 737 000 for further information.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]