Poor Visibility Affects New Zealand Airport Due to Fog, Disrupts Anew Flight Travel Plans
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Flight plans of hundreds of travelers were again disrupted on Thursday as poor visibility surrounded New Zealand's Wellington airport for a second night due to fog.
Radio New Zealand said the airport is again hard to see from 100 metres away.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
Air New Zealand has advised travelers flying in and out of Wellington to expect another round of delays on Thursday evening.
The flight disruptions were spurred by a low-lying sea fog on Wednesday evening that emanated from Cook Strait island, pushed by gentle southerly winds.
That evening, 29 people spent the night at Wellington Airport.
Airport authorities were forced to cancel, delay or divert a number of flights to Palmerston North or Paraparaumu.
About 4,000 passengers of Air New Zealand have been affected by flight cancellations on Thursday.
Greg Thomas, Wellington Airport spokesman, advised travellers to check with the airport's Web site or their airline for updates since air travel could be disrupted for some time throughout the country.
The thick fog, now on its second evening, has shrouded the entrance to Wellington harbor. Ships going in and out have been forced to sound their foghorns to warn their movements.
Air New Zealand advised domestic travelers to consult the departures information on the company's Web site or call the contact centre on 0800 737 000 for further information.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- Two Moons Hoax Surfaces Again: Debunked By Scientists, Twitter Explodes With Reactions
- Climate Change Is Eating Away The Great Barrier Reef
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble