Poor Visibility Affects New Zealand Airport Due to Fog, Disrupts Anew Flight Travel Plans
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Flight plans of hundreds of travelers were again disrupted on Thursday as poor visibility surrounded New Zealand's Wellington airport for a second night due to fog.
Radio New Zealand said the airport is again hard to see from 100 metres away.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
Air New Zealand has advised travelers flying in and out of Wellington to expect another round of delays on Thursday evening.
The flight disruptions were spurred by a low-lying sea fog on Wednesday evening that emanated from Cook Strait island, pushed by gentle southerly winds.
That evening, 29 people spent the night at Wellington Airport.
Airport authorities were forced to cancel, delay or divert a number of flights to Palmerston North or Paraparaumu.
About 4,000 passengers of Air New Zealand have been affected by flight cancellations on Thursday.
Greg Thomas, Wellington Airport spokesman, advised travellers to check with the airport's Web site or their airline for updates since air travel could be disrupted for some time throughout the country.
The thick fog, now on its second evening, has shrouded the entrance to Wellington harbor. Ships going in and out have been forced to sound their foghorns to warn their movements.
Air New Zealand advised domestic travelers to consult the departures information on the company's Web site or call the contact centre on 0800 737 000 for further information.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientists Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 'Human Skull' Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting: UFO Spotted Above Las Vegas, Nevada
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Alien Toy Doll Found On Mars [Watch Video]
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar