Poor Visibility Affects New Zealand Airport Due to Fog, Disrupts Anew Flight Travel Plans
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 5:39 PM EST
Flight plans of hundreds of travelers were again disrupted on Thursday as poor visibility surrounded New Zealand's Wellington airport for a second night due to fog.
Radio New Zealand said the airport is again hard to see from 100 metres away.
Dense fog delays flights in Delhi
Air New Zealand has advised travelers flying in and out of Wellington to expect another round of delays on Thursday evening.
The flight disruptions were spurred by a low-lying sea fog on Wednesday evening that emanated from Cook Strait island, pushed by gentle southerly winds.
That evening, 29 people spent the night at Wellington Airport.
Airport authorities were forced to cancel, delay or divert a number of flights to Palmerston North or Paraparaumu.
About 4,000 passengers of Air New Zealand have been affected by flight cancellations on Thursday.
Greg Thomas, Wellington Airport spokesman, advised travellers to check with the airport's Web site or their airline for updates since air travel could be disrupted for some time throughout the country.
The thick fog, now on its second evening, has shrouded the entrance to Wellington harbor. Ships going in and out have been forced to sound their foghorns to warn their movements.
Air New Zealand advised domestic travelers to consult the departures information on the company's Web site or call the contact centre on 0800 737 000 for further information.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen