Health-Conscious China Gobbles Up Australia’s Olive Oil – Report
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 4:53 PM EST
Citing Tim Smith, sales and marketing director at Boundary Bend Ltd., Australia's largest producer of extra-virgin oil, the WSJ reported that China along with other Asian investors now own 10 per cent of Australia's olive groves.
China developed a penchant for olive oil, not part of the traditional Chinese cuisine, as alternative option for healthy cooking and eating, spurred by domestic food-safety scares.
In 2013, China imported a whopping $184 million worth of olive oil, a jump of 9.3 per cent from a year ago. A decade earlier, China imported just a measly $1 million. Ninety-nine per cent of China's olive oil requirements are imported because the country doesn't have the right conditions to grow its own olives.
The surge has prompted Chinese entrepreneurs to search Australia to ensure a steady supple source for the cooking ingredient staple.
"There are a lot of wealthy Chinese willing to pay for high-quality olive oil to ensure they have the 'real thing,' " Lisa Rowntree, chief executive of the Australian Olive Association growers group, told WSJ.
And olive growers around the world believe the Chinese fascination won't just be a passing fad.
"There is enormous potential for continuous growth in Chinese olive-oil use over the next two decades, although perhaps not at the explosive rate of 30 per cent or 40 per cent annual growth seen in the past five years," Manuel Leon, the Shanghai representative of Extenda, Andalusia's export promotion agency, said.
Andalusia is a southern province located in Spain. The latter is where half of the world's olive oil output comes from.
Mr Leon said Extenda receives several queries from Chinese companies each month wanting to buy oil or do licensing agreements. And Extenda is just one of Andalusia's many olive growers.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family