Health-Conscious China Gobbles Up Australia’s Olive Oil – Report
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 4:53 PM EST
Citing Tim Smith, sales and marketing director at Boundary Bend Ltd., Australia's largest producer of extra-virgin oil, the WSJ reported that China along with other Asian investors now own 10 per cent of Australia's olive groves.
China developed a penchant for olive oil, not part of the traditional Chinese cuisine, as alternative option for healthy cooking and eating, spurred by domestic food-safety scares.
In 2013, China imported a whopping $184 million worth of olive oil, a jump of 9.3 per cent from a year ago. A decade earlier, China imported just a measly $1 million. Ninety-nine per cent of China's olive oil requirements are imported because the country doesn't have the right conditions to grow its own olives.
The surge has prompted Chinese entrepreneurs to search Australia to ensure a steady supple source for the cooking ingredient staple.
"There are a lot of wealthy Chinese willing to pay for high-quality olive oil to ensure they have the 'real thing,' " Lisa Rowntree, chief executive of the Australian Olive Association growers group, told WSJ.
And olive growers around the world believe the Chinese fascination won't just be a passing fad.
"There is enormous potential for continuous growth in Chinese olive-oil use over the next two decades, although perhaps not at the explosive rate of 30 per cent or 40 per cent annual growth seen in the past five years," Manuel Leon, the Shanghai representative of Extenda, Andalusia's export promotion agency, said.
Andalusia is a southern province located in Spain. The latter is where half of the world's olive oil output comes from.
Mr Leon said Extenda receives several queries from Chinese companies each month wanting to buy oil or do licensing agreements. And Extenda is just one of Andalusia's many olive growers.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28