Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts ‘Red Card’ Decision, States that Bayern Won by Acting
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 20, 2014 4:31 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is disappointed with one of the judgments that the referee made during their Champions League encounter against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Arsenal's manager Wenger reacts during the match against Bayern Munich in the Champions League round of 16 first leg soccer match at the Emirates Stadium in London
Gunners goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was shown the red card when he went for an attempted "through ball," but was a step late, colliding with incoming attacker Arjen Robben in the process.
The French manager pointed out, after the game, that there was no intention from his shot-stopper to impede the Bayern player's path, but rather, Robben, did very well to sell the call, and so did the entire Die Roten squad to their advantage.
"He has enough experience to know to make more of it," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Overall I thought Bayern made a lot of every single contact, we are not used to that in England."
"There were fouls given today that usually are not given in the Premier League, but it's different rules and we have to accept it."
Wenger believes that it was a turning point that led to a one-sided ball game.
"Unfortunately it changed the game completely and didn't just change the game but killed the game," he added.
"The game was, until then, top quality, and in the second half it was boring for neutral people. It was one-way traffic. The referee made the decision that killed the game."
Nevertheless, he still believes that his squad can make something out of the second leg when they visit the Bundesliga outfit at the Allianz Arena in March.
"It isn't over because we will fight until the end. We knew at half-time we had to try and keep it at 0-0 and we will see what happens," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date