Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts ‘Red Card’ Decision, States that Bayern Won by Acting
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 20, 2014 4:31 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is disappointed with one of the judgments that the referee made during their Champions League encounter against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Arsenal's manager Wenger reacts during the match against Bayern Munich in the Champions League round of 16 first leg soccer match at the Emirates Stadium in London
Gunners goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was shown the red card when he went for an attempted "through ball," but was a step late, colliding with incoming attacker Arjen Robben in the process.
The French manager pointed out, after the game, that there was no intention from his shot-stopper to impede the Bayern player's path, but rather, Robben, did very well to sell the call, and so did the entire Die Roten squad to their advantage.
"He has enough experience to know to make more of it," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Overall I thought Bayern made a lot of every single contact, we are not used to that in England."
"There were fouls given today that usually are not given in the Premier League, but it's different rules and we have to accept it."
Wenger believes that it was a turning point that led to a one-sided ball game.
"Unfortunately it changed the game completely and didn't just change the game but killed the game," he added.
"The game was, until then, top quality, and in the second half it was boring for neutral people. It was one-way traffic. The referee made the decision that killed the game."
Nevertheless, he still believes that his squad can make something out of the second leg when they visit the Bundesliga outfit at the Allianz Arena in March.
"It isn't over because we will fight until the end. We knew at half-time we had to try and keep it at 0-0 and we will see what happens," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected