Arsenal FC News: Wenger Blasts ‘Red Card’ Decision, States that Bayern Won by Acting
By Mark Wayne Eubank | February 20, 2014 4:31 PM EST
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is disappointed with one of the judgments that the referee made during their Champions League encounter against Bayern Munich on Wednesday.
Arsenal's manager Wenger reacts during the match against Bayern Munich in the Champions League round of 16 first leg soccer match at the Emirates Stadium in London
Gunners goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was shown the red card when he went for an attempted "through ball," but was a step late, colliding with incoming attacker Arjen Robben in the process.
The French manager pointed out, after the game, that there was no intention from his shot-stopper to impede the Bayern player's path, but rather, Robben, did very well to sell the call, and so did the entire Die Roten squad to their advantage.
"He has enough experience to know to make more of it," Wenger told arsenal.com.
"Overall I thought Bayern made a lot of every single contact, we are not used to that in England."
"There were fouls given today that usually are not given in the Premier League, but it's different rules and we have to accept it."
Wenger believes that it was a turning point that led to a one-sided ball game.
"Unfortunately it changed the game completely and didn't just change the game but killed the game," he added.
"The game was, until then, top quality, and in the second half it was boring for neutral people. It was one-way traffic. The referee made the decision that killed the game."
Nevertheless, he still believes that his squad can make something out of the second leg when they visit the Bundesliga outfit at the Allianz Arena in March.
"It isn't over because we will fight until the end. We knew at half-time we had to try and keep it at 0-0 and we will see what happens," he disclosed.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report