‘Ride Along’ Grosses Over $100 Million, Part 2 on the Way
By Sachin Trivedi | February 20, 2014 1:40 PM EST
With the success of the movie "Ride Along" at the box office Universal Pictures will reportedly start work on the second part of the movie. The new movie will bring back stars Ice Cube and Kevin Hart and will be once again directed by Tim Story.
"Ride Along" made just over $41 million on the opening weekend and has made over $120 million worldwide. The success of the movie has made it only natural for the sequel to come along shortly. The new movie is expected to start production this summer.
Will "Ride Along" 2 be a big hit as the first movie? Or will the producers have to work extra hard this time around? Some analysts contend that one of the reasons for the success of the first movie was that it had very little competition.
The only other comedy movie playing in the theatres which could offer some competition to "Ride Along" was the movie "The Nut Job." This meant that movie buffs had very little choice and pushed the sales of the movie.
"Ride Along" is a movie about a security guard Ben Barber joining a cop in Atlanta, James Payton, to prove himself worthy of the cop's sister. Ben and James go on a 24 hour patrol of Atlanta and meet with a series of events which are hilarious.
The cast of the movie includes Ice Cube as James Payton, Kevin Hart as Ben Barber, John Leguizamo as Santiago, Bruce McGill as Lt. Brooks, Tika Sumpter as Angela Payton, Bryan Callen as Miggs and Laurence Fishburne as Omar.
The movie was mostly shot in the USA. The filming locations include Atlanta, Georgia and Los Angeles, California. The movie was produced by Universal Pictures, Rainforest Films, LBI Entertainment and Cube Vision.
The director Tim Story's current project is the movie "Think Like a Man Too," which will hit the theatres on June 20 2014. The director is mostly known for the "Fantastic Four" films. It is no surprise that he is the choice for the director's chair for the upcoming movie.
Will the producers aim for a January release of "Ride Along" 2? Or will they run the risk and open the film along with other heavy weights in Hollywood? The pressure will also be on the director to make the next movie bigger and more appealing to a global audience.
More Articles to Read
'Game of Thrones' Season 4 - Will Arya Stark Get Her Revenge? Spoilers [Watch New Trailer] [Read]
'Star Wars' Actor Christopher Malcolm Dies at Age 67; Fans Send Love and Prayers [Read]
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Trailer Released; Meet the 5 Heroes in the Movie [Watch Video] [Read]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- 'The Mentalist' Season 7, Episode 1 Spoilers: The Ending Begins For Patrick Jane And Teresa Lisbon (Synopsis)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James