Women in NZ Postpone Child Rearing, Affects Natural Population Growth
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 20, 2014 1:26 PM EST
The growth of natural population in New Zealand has been found to have declined the most in 2013 with a majority of women in the country postponing child rearing.
Data released by Statistics New Zealand on Wednesday showed live births registrations were only 58,717 cases in 2013, down 4 per cent or by 2,461 cases from 2012.
Analysts in Statistics New Zealand said the reason could be due to more women deciding to postpone having kids
In 2013, more women aged 35 to 39 years old gave birth, at 71 babies per 1,000 women, overtaking births by women aged 20 to 24 for the first time, which registered at only 67 babies per 1,000.
Andrea Blackburn, population statistics manager, noted the country's future population size and age will remain influenced by reigning number of births. It was in 1961 when New Zealand had its biggest number of births recorded in any year at 65,390. At that time, New Zealand's population was 2.5 million versus 2013's 4.5 million.
Live birth minus deaths, New Zealand's 2013 natural population increase was only 29,149, the lowest natural increase from 2003's record of 28,124.
The number of deaths meantime in New Zealand dropped 2 per cent in 2013 to 29,568 from 30,099 in 2012. The regions of Auckland and Canterbury yielded the largest number of deaths in 2013 at 7,566 and 4,098, respectively.
In mid February, the New Zealand Institute for Economic Research (NZIER) recommended to the national government to open doors and allow the entry of an extra 40, 000 immigrants per year to help boost the growth of the national economy.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone