No-Egg Food Products: Hampton Creek Now Has $23M to Make Eggs History
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 20, 2014 11:02 AM EST
Hampton Creek Foods Inc. raised $23 million in an effort to abolish eggs in food items. The company plans to finance the food technology which is plant based. If the Series B finance gets successful in developing the technology, there will be no egg content in food items like condiments, cookie dough and muffins.
Wall Street Journal reported that, according to co-founder and Chief Executive Josh Tetrick, the company would work on abolishing chicken eggs by replacing it with non-GMO plants. However, the company does not wish to compromise on taste. The taste of their food products should be as good as that of an egg-based one, Mr Tetrick said. He also said that the company, which is based in San Francisco, had already raised $30 million for the cause with the help of industry biggies like Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Peter Thiel (Founders Fund).
The plant-based food products promise to be cheaper than their egg-based counterparts. Subsequently, they are better in terms of the health consequences of the person eating them. On the other hand, these products are far more eco-friendly as well. The very first product of the company was called as Beyond Eggs. It was an egg alternative which Hampton Creek was able to sell in bulk packs to prominent food manufacturers.
Forbes reported that Mr Tetrick spoke before boarding a plane to Hong Kong where he was going to have a meeting with the richest man in Asia, Li Ka-shing, for the very first time. Mr Tetrick, with both the richest man in the world and the richest man in Asia supporting the cause, must be more certain of the company's prospect at the moment. On the other hand, he is not willing to disclose the names of the other big shots supporting the company to take it even further ahead.
Mr Tetrick appeared proud to announce that the world was ready to strike a deal with the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine