No-Egg Food Products: Hampton Creek Now Has $23M to Make Eggs History
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 20, 2014 11:02 AM EST
Hampton Creek Foods Inc. raised $23 million in an effort to abolish eggs in food items. The company plans to finance the food technology which is plant based. If the Series B finance gets successful in developing the technology, there will be no egg content in food items like condiments, cookie dough and muffins.
Wall Street Journal reported that, according to co-founder and Chief Executive Josh Tetrick, the company would work on abolishing chicken eggs by replacing it with non-GMO plants. However, the company does not wish to compromise on taste. The taste of their food products should be as good as that of an egg-based one, Mr Tetrick said. He also said that the company, which is based in San Francisco, had already raised $30 million for the cause with the help of industry biggies like Bill Gates (Microsoft) and Peter Thiel (Founders Fund).
The plant-based food products promise to be cheaper than their egg-based counterparts. Subsequently, they are better in terms of the health consequences of the person eating them. On the other hand, these products are far more eco-friendly as well. The very first product of the company was called as Beyond Eggs. It was an egg alternative which Hampton Creek was able to sell in bulk packs to prominent food manufacturers.
Forbes reported that Mr Tetrick spoke before boarding a plane to Hong Kong where he was going to have a meeting with the richest man in Asia, Li Ka-shing, for the very first time. Mr Tetrick, with both the richest man in the world and the richest man in Asia supporting the cause, must be more certain of the company's prospect at the moment. On the other hand, he is not willing to disclose the names of the other big shots supporting the company to take it even further ahead.
Mr Tetrick appeared proud to announce that the world was ready to strike a deal with the company.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales