Lorde Calls Brit Awards Win A ‘Priceless Surprise’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | February 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Lorde continues her winning streak. The 17-year-old Kiwi has been named Best International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, beating music heavyweights Janelle Monae, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Pink to the prestigious award.
Singer Lorde performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
“I’m still so new to getting awards like this that my brain feels like it’s exploding every time it happens, so forgive me,” a nervous Lorde accepted her accolade.
“Thank you so much, first of all, to the strong, intelligent, inspiring women in this category because it’s amazing to have competition that’s healthy. Thank you to my family and my team,” she said, adding, “This really was a priceless surprise.”
The adorable Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Lorde’s real name, shrieked in delight when her name was called. She later explained that she was “stoked” that she won.
“I didn’t expect it at all. You don’t expect to win an award when you’re up against Gaga, Janelle Monae, and Pink. So I’m really grateful,” she told reporters backstage.
Earlier, she performed with British electro group Disclosure, singing her hit “Royals.”
Lorde wasn’t the only winner at the 2014 Brit Awards. Arctic Monkeys won two gongs, taking home Best British Group and MasterCard British Album of the Year for “AM.”
Bruno Mars won the male equivalent of Lorde’s trophy, Best International Male Solo Artist, beating Drake, Eminem, John Grant, and Justin Timberlake for the honour.
Boyband One Direction won the Best British Video for “Best Song Ever,” and were presented with BRITs Global Success trophy.
Best British Single of the Year went to Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for “Waiting All Night,” while the Critics’ Choice was awarded to Sam Smith.
English pop band Bastille took home the British Breakthrough Act, while Daft Punk got the Best International Group.
David Bowie was named the Best British Male Solo Artist, while Ellie Goulding was the Best British Female Solo Artist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 2 Major Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Strangers’
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Grand Final Sing-Off: Marlisa Punzalan, Dean Ray and Brothers 3 [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’: Blake And Louise Tell The True Story
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Oct. 20-24 Spoilers: An ‘Unexpected Visitor’ Changes Everything For Sami Plus Updates On Salemites
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage