Lorde Calls Brit Awards Win A ‘Priceless Surprise’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | February 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Lorde continues her winning streak. The 17-year-old Kiwi has been named Best International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, beating music heavyweights Janelle Monae, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Pink to the prestigious award.
Singer Lorde performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
“I’m still so new to getting awards like this that my brain feels like it’s exploding every time it happens, so forgive me,” a nervous Lorde accepted her accolade.
“Thank you so much, first of all, to the strong, intelligent, inspiring women in this category because it’s amazing to have competition that’s healthy. Thank you to my family and my team,” she said, adding, “This really was a priceless surprise.”
The adorable Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Lorde’s real name, shrieked in delight when her name was called. She later explained that she was “stoked” that she won.
“I didn’t expect it at all. You don’t expect to win an award when you’re up against Gaga, Janelle Monae, and Pink. So I’m really grateful,” she told reporters backstage.
Earlier, she performed with British electro group Disclosure, singing her hit “Royals.”
Lorde wasn’t the only winner at the 2014 Brit Awards. Arctic Monkeys won two gongs, taking home Best British Group and MasterCard British Album of the Year for “AM.”
Bruno Mars won the male equivalent of Lorde’s trophy, Best International Male Solo Artist, beating Drake, Eminem, John Grant, and Justin Timberlake for the honour.
Boyband One Direction won the Best British Video for “Best Song Ever,” and were presented with BRITs Global Success trophy.
Best British Single of the Year went to Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for “Waiting All Night,” while the Critics’ Choice was awarded to Sam Smith.
English pop band Bastille took home the British Breakthrough Act, while Daft Punk got the Best International Group.
David Bowie was named the Best British Male Solo Artist, while Ellie Goulding was the Best British Female Solo Artist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports