Lorde Calls Brit Awards Win A ‘Priceless Surprise’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | February 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Lorde continues her winning streak. The 17-year-old Kiwi has been named Best International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, beating music heavyweights Janelle Monae, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Pink to the prestigious award.
Singer Lorde performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
“I’m still so new to getting awards like this that my brain feels like it’s exploding every time it happens, so forgive me,” a nervous Lorde accepted her accolade.
“Thank you so much, first of all, to the strong, intelligent, inspiring women in this category because it’s amazing to have competition that’s healthy. Thank you to my family and my team,” she said, adding, “This really was a priceless surprise.”
The adorable Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Lorde’s real name, shrieked in delight when her name was called. She later explained that she was “stoked” that she won.
“I didn’t expect it at all. You don’t expect to win an award when you’re up against Gaga, Janelle Monae, and Pink. So I’m really grateful,” she told reporters backstage.
Earlier, she performed with British electro group Disclosure, singing her hit “Royals.”
Lorde wasn’t the only winner at the 2014 Brit Awards. Arctic Monkeys won two gongs, taking home Best British Group and MasterCard British Album of the Year for “AM.”
Bruno Mars won the male equivalent of Lorde’s trophy, Best International Male Solo Artist, beating Drake, Eminem, John Grant, and Justin Timberlake for the honour.
Boyband One Direction won the Best British Video for “Best Song Ever,” and were presented with BRITs Global Success trophy.
Best British Single of the Year went to Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for “Waiting All Night,” while the Critics’ Choice was awarded to Sam Smith.
English pop band Bastille took home the British Breakthrough Act, while Daft Punk got the Best International Group.
David Bowie was named the Best British Male Solo Artist, while Ellie Goulding was the Best British Female Solo Artist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5 Spoilers: Cersei Lannister – Possible Deviation From The Books
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected