Lorde Calls Brit Awards Win A ‘Priceless Surprise’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | February 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Lorde continues her winning streak. The 17-year-old Kiwi has been named Best International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, beating music heavyweights Janelle Monae, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Pink to the prestigious award.
Singer Lorde performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
“I’m still so new to getting awards like this that my brain feels like it’s exploding every time it happens, so forgive me,” a nervous Lorde accepted her accolade.
“Thank you so much, first of all, to the strong, intelligent, inspiring women in this category because it’s amazing to have competition that’s healthy. Thank you to my family and my team,” she said, adding, “This really was a priceless surprise.”
The adorable Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Lorde’s real name, shrieked in delight when her name was called. She later explained that she was “stoked” that she won.
“I didn’t expect it at all. You don’t expect to win an award when you’re up against Gaga, Janelle Monae, and Pink. So I’m really grateful,” she told reporters backstage.
Earlier, she performed with British electro group Disclosure, singing her hit “Royals.”
Lorde wasn’t the only winner at the 2014 Brit Awards. Arctic Monkeys won two gongs, taking home Best British Group and MasterCard British Album of the Year for “AM.”
Bruno Mars won the male equivalent of Lorde’s trophy, Best International Male Solo Artist, beating Drake, Eminem, John Grant, and Justin Timberlake for the honour.
Boyband One Direction won the Best British Video for “Best Song Ever,” and were presented with BRITs Global Success trophy.
Best British Single of the Year went to Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for “Waiting All Night,” while the Critics’ Choice was awarded to Sam Smith.
English pop band Bastille took home the British Breakthrough Act, while Daft Punk got the Best International Group.
David Bowie was named the Best British Male Solo Artist, while Ellie Goulding was the Best British Female Solo Artist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones