Lorde Calls Brit Awards Win A ‘Priceless Surprise’ [VIDEOS]
By Anne Lu | February 20, 2014 10:58 AM EST
Lorde continues her winning streak. The 17-year-old Kiwi has been named Best International Female Solo Artist at the Brit Awards on Tuesday, beating music heavyweights Janelle Monae, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, and Pink to the prestigious award.
Singer Lorde performs at the BRIT Awards, celebrating British pop music, at the O2 Arena in London February 19, 2014. REUTERS/Toby Melville
“I’m still so new to getting awards like this that my brain feels like it’s exploding every time it happens, so forgive me,” a nervous Lorde accepted her accolade.
“Thank you so much, first of all, to the strong, intelligent, inspiring women in this category because it’s amazing to have competition that’s healthy. Thank you to my family and my team,” she said, adding, “This really was a priceless surprise.”
The adorable Ella Yelich-O’Connor, Lorde’s real name, shrieked in delight when her name was called. She later explained that she was “stoked” that she won.
“I didn’t expect it at all. You don’t expect to win an award when you’re up against Gaga, Janelle Monae, and Pink. So I’m really grateful,” she told reporters backstage.
Earlier, she performed with British electro group Disclosure, singing her hit “Royals.”
Lorde wasn’t the only winner at the 2014 Brit Awards. Arctic Monkeys won two gongs, taking home Best British Group and MasterCard British Album of the Year for “AM.”
Bruno Mars won the male equivalent of Lorde’s trophy, Best International Male Solo Artist, beating Drake, Eminem, John Grant, and Justin Timberlake for the honour.
Boyband One Direction won the Best British Video for “Best Song Ever,” and were presented with BRITs Global Success trophy.
Best British Single of the Year went to Rudimental featuring Ella Eyre for “Waiting All Night,” while the Critics’ Choice was awarded to Sam Smith.
English pop band Bastille took home the British Breakthrough Act, while Daft Punk got the Best International Group.
David Bowie was named the Best British Male Solo Artist, while Ellie Goulding was the Best British Female Solo Artist.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone