Sochi Olympics 2014: Canadian Columnist Describes Outfit of Spanish Skater as Satanic Monstrosity; Who Wore the Best and Worst Outfits? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Besides following the medal tally at the ongoing Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia, sports pundits are also observing the costumes of figure skaters.
Olympic figure skater Max Aaron poses for a portrait during the 2013 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Park City, Utah.
Sochi Olympics 2014: ‘Stop Sharing My Topless Photos’, Pleads Controversial Lebanese Skier Jackie Chamoun (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
Some, like Huffington Post, have even compiled a best and worst outfit list. It cited Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan and Evgeni Plushenko as included in their best outfit list.
It noted the intricate headbands of some figure skaters, tutus inspired by the Black Swan as among what made some of the ice gods and goddesses stand out sartorially from the rest of the skaters.
However, on the opposite end, Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno criticised the outfit of Spanish skater Javier Fernandez, describing it as a "Satanic monstrosity" whose designer should be shot.
A quadruple jump practitioner, Javier placed fourth on Friday on the short programme, missing the bronze medal by 1.18 points. However, it was the best finish by a Spanish skater, said Javier, who wore a navy blue Espana jacket collar.
On Huffington's worst list are gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan whose attire it found "went a bit too far with his love for colourful costume jewels on his black and white outfit. Another one is Australian pair Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman whom the newspaper said "got carried away with their circus-themed ensembles."
The New York Times took notice of Ukraine skater Yakov Godorozha's outfit which it described as a frightening combination made up of a traffic-cone orange shirt and spandex-like pants supposed to look like jeans with sequin-studded pockets.
But for The Gloss, his outfit was the second coolest, describing the attire as a great Halloween costume.
The number one on their list is Filipino skater, 17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez, whom it described as dapper "in his blinged-out Christmas sweater." At the same time, the newspaper called his performance amazing.
YouTube/ نوعية الأخبار
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People