Sochi Olympics 2014: Canadian Columnist Describes Outfit of Spanish Skater as Satanic Monstrosity; Who Wore the Best and Worst Outfits? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Besides following the medal tally at the ongoing Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia, sports pundits are also observing the costumes of figure skaters.
Olympic figure skater Max Aaron poses for a portrait during the 2013 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Park City, Utah.
Sochi Olympics 2014: ‘Stop Sharing My Topless Photos’, Pleads Controversial Lebanese Skier Jackie Chamoun (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
Some, like Huffington Post, have even compiled a best and worst outfit list. It cited Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan and Evgeni Plushenko as included in their best outfit list.
It noted the intricate headbands of some figure skaters, tutus inspired by the Black Swan as among what made some of the ice gods and goddesses stand out sartorially from the rest of the skaters.
However, on the opposite end, Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno criticised the outfit of Spanish skater Javier Fernandez, describing it as a "Satanic monstrosity" whose designer should be shot.
A quadruple jump practitioner, Javier placed fourth on Friday on the short programme, missing the bronze medal by 1.18 points. However, it was the best finish by a Spanish skater, said Javier, who wore a navy blue Espana jacket collar.
On Huffington's worst list are gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan whose attire it found "went a bit too far with his love for colourful costume jewels on his black and white outfit. Another one is Australian pair Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman whom the newspaper said "got carried away with their circus-themed ensembles."
The New York Times took notice of Ukraine skater Yakov Godorozha's outfit which it described as a frightening combination made up of a traffic-cone orange shirt and spandex-like pants supposed to look like jeans with sequin-studded pockets.
But for The Gloss, his outfit was the second coolest, describing the attire as a great Halloween costume.
The number one on their list is Filipino skater, 17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez, whom it described as dapper "in his blinged-out Christmas sweater." At the same time, the newspaper called his performance amazing.
YouTube/ نوعية الأخبار
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues