Sochi Olympics 2014: Canadian Columnist Describes Outfit of Spanish Skater as Satanic Monstrosity; Who Wore the Best and Worst Outfits? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Besides following the medal tally at the ongoing Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia, sports pundits are also observing the costumes of figure skaters.
Olympic figure skater Max Aaron poses for a portrait during the 2013 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Park City, Utah.
Sochi Olympics 2014: ‘Stop Sharing My Topless Photos’, Pleads Controversial Lebanese Skier Jackie Chamoun (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
Some, like Huffington Post, have even compiled a best and worst outfit list. It cited Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan and Evgeni Plushenko as included in their best outfit list.
It noted the intricate headbands of some figure skaters, tutus inspired by the Black Swan as among what made some of the ice gods and goddesses stand out sartorially from the rest of the skaters.
However, on the opposite end, Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno criticised the outfit of Spanish skater Javier Fernandez, describing it as a "Satanic monstrosity" whose designer should be shot.
A quadruple jump practitioner, Javier placed fourth on Friday on the short programme, missing the bronze medal by 1.18 points. However, it was the best finish by a Spanish skater, said Javier, who wore a navy blue Espana jacket collar.
On Huffington's worst list are gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan whose attire it found "went a bit too far with his love for colourful costume jewels on his black and white outfit. Another one is Australian pair Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman whom the newspaper said "got carried away with their circus-themed ensembles."
The New York Times took notice of Ukraine skater Yakov Godorozha's outfit which it described as a frightening combination made up of a traffic-cone orange shirt and spandex-like pants supposed to look like jeans with sequin-studded pockets.
But for The Gloss, his outfit was the second coolest, describing the attire as a great Halloween costume.
The number one on their list is Filipino skater, 17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez, whom it described as dapper "in his blinged-out Christmas sweater." At the same time, the newspaper called his performance amazing.
YouTube/ نوعية الأخبار
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga