Sochi Olympics 2014: Canadian Columnist Describes Outfit of Spanish Skater as Satanic Monstrosity; Who Wore the Best and Worst Outfits? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Besides following the medal tally at the ongoing Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia, sports pundits are also observing the costumes of figure skaters.
Olympic figure skater Max Aaron poses for a portrait during the 2013 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Park City, Utah.
Sochi Olympics 2014: ‘Stop Sharing My Topless Photos’, Pleads Controversial Lebanese Skier Jackie Chamoun (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
Some, like Huffington Post, have even compiled a best and worst outfit list. It cited Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan and Evgeni Plushenko as included in their best outfit list.
It noted the intricate headbands of some figure skaters, tutus inspired by the Black Swan as among what made some of the ice gods and goddesses stand out sartorially from the rest of the skaters.
However, on the opposite end, Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno criticised the outfit of Spanish skater Javier Fernandez, describing it as a "Satanic monstrosity" whose designer should be shot.
A quadruple jump practitioner, Javier placed fourth on Friday on the short programme, missing the bronze medal by 1.18 points. However, it was the best finish by a Spanish skater, said Javier, who wore a navy blue Espana jacket collar.
On Huffington's worst list are gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan whose attire it found "went a bit too far with his love for colourful costume jewels on his black and white outfit. Another one is Australian pair Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman whom the newspaper said "got carried away with their circus-themed ensembles."
The New York Times took notice of Ukraine skater Yakov Godorozha's outfit which it described as a frightening combination made up of a traffic-cone orange shirt and spandex-like pants supposed to look like jeans with sequin-studded pockets.
But for The Gloss, his outfit was the second coolest, describing the attire as a great Halloween costume.
The number one on their list is Filipino skater, 17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez, whom it described as dapper "in his blinged-out Christmas sweater." At the same time, the newspaper called his performance amazing.
YouTube/ نوعية الأخبار
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money