Sochi Olympics 2014: Canadian Columnist Describes Outfit of Spanish Skater as Satanic Monstrosity; Who Wore the Best and Worst Outfits? (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:29 AM EST
Besides following the medal tally at the ongoing Sochi Winter Olympics in Russia, sports pundits are also observing the costumes of figure skaters.
Olympic figure skater Max Aaron poses for a portrait during the 2013 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit in Park City, Utah.
Sochi Olympics 2014: ‘Stop Sharing My Topless Photos’, Pleads Controversial Lebanese Skier Jackie Chamoun (VIDEOS)
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
Some, like Huffington Post, have even compiled a best and worst outfit list. It cited Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir, Patrick Chan and Evgeni Plushenko as included in their best outfit list.
It noted the intricate headbands of some figure skaters, tutus inspired by the Black Swan as among what made some of the ice gods and goddesses stand out sartorially from the rest of the skaters.
However, on the opposite end, Toronto Star columnist Rosie DiManno criticised the outfit of Spanish skater Javier Fernandez, describing it as a "Satanic monstrosity" whose designer should be shot.
A quadruple jump practitioner, Javier placed fourth on Friday on the short programme, missing the bronze medal by 1.18 points. However, it was the best finish by a Spanish skater, said Javier, who wore a navy blue Espana jacket collar.
On Huffington's worst list are gold medalist Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan whose attire it found "went a bit too far with his love for colourful costume jewels on his black and white outfit. Another one is Australian pair Danielle O'Brien and Greg Merriman whom the newspaper said "got carried away with their circus-themed ensembles."
The New York Times took notice of Ukraine skater Yakov Godorozha's outfit which it described as a frightening combination made up of a traffic-cone orange shirt and spandex-like pants supposed to look like jeans with sequin-studded pockets.
But for The Gloss, his outfit was the second coolest, describing the attire as a great Halloween costume.
The number one on their list is Filipino skater, 17-year-old Michael Christian Martinez, whom it described as dapper "in his blinged-out Christmas sweater." At the same time, the newspaper called his performance amazing.
YouTube/ نوعية الأخبار
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Trading Jeremy Lin Was A Huge Mistake For Houston Rockets
- Manny Pacquiao To Gauge KO Power Against Chris Algieri
- Roger Federer Dedicates 80th Career Title For His Kids
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Mehdi Benatia and Alex Song in the Mix as Wenger Looks to 'Strengthen Defensive Department'
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members