Boxing News 2014: Bradley Trainer Says Pacquiao Would Not Easily Beat His Ward in April Rematch (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:17 AM EST
The April rematch between eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao and undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley Jr would be a difficult match in terms of determining the victor.
Joel Diaz, trainer of Bradley, admitted on Wednesday that it would not be easy for his ward to win another decision against Pacquiao given the controversy generated by their first fight in June 2012 which many observers believed was won by the Filipino southpaw.
Reuters Manny Pacquiao is 54-5-2 in his boxing career.
Manny Pacquiao is 54-5-2 in his boxing career.
Boxing News 2014: Roach Pushing Pacquiao to KO Bradley, But Manny Loses to Miss USA Erin Brady in Pillow Fight (VIDEOS)
"We don't want to leave it up to the judges ... We want the fans to see a real winner," ABS-CBN quoted Diaz. Admitting that a knockout is the best proof of who is the better boxer, the trainers said that if the scorecards are close toward the end of the 2nd match, chances are the judges' decision would favour the Filipino legislator.
He believes the judges would be partial to Pacquiao because ultimately boxing is a business and "there's more money to be made with Manny Pacquiao."
But Diaz also believes that Manny would not find it easy to beat Bradley in their second match, based on what happened in the first fight wherein despite Bradley's early injury on both feet, Pacquiao failed to KO his opponent.
"For Manny to beat Bradley, he really needs to knock him out. Because if he couldn't hurt him when he (Bradley) had his feet hurt in the first one, I don't think he'll hurt him now," Diaz said.
However, Pacquiao insisted that his newfound religious belief made him more compassionate in past bouts against his opponents that's why he didn't push for a knockout. But this time, Manny vowed that viewers would see the return of the old ruthless Pacquiao when he meets Bradley for the second time on April 12 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air