Australia, New Zealand Are Hosts of 2017 Rugby World Cup (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Iran Requires Compulsory Gender Tests for Members of Female Football Team Amid Report Some Are Men With Incomplete Sex Change Operations
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
It would be the 15th competition. Nigel Wood, chairman of the bid committee and RLIF vice chairman, said the two bids were thoroughly compelling, however, the committee favoured the joint Australia/New Zealand bid as the one with the greatest chance of success to provide more compelling games in world-class environments and in front of big, passionate crowds.
The two nations jointly hosted the international competition in 1968 and 1977, making the 2017 event their third collaboration.
South Africa sent a team in the 1995 and 2008 World Cups, but still made a bid even if there are only few domestic rugby games in the country out of the belief that it could help make the game known internationally by hosting the sports competition.
Wood acknowledged that the bid from South Africa was very strong, professionally prepared and demonstrated clearly the nation's passion for rugby which continues to grow daily.
Also on Wednesday, the NRL announced the 2014 mid-season Anzac Test will be held in Sydney. It would be the first meeting between the Kangaroos and the Kiwis since Australia won the World Cup final over New Zealand in 2013.
YouTube/Rugby League World Cup 2013
The Test, would be held at the Allianz Stadium on May 2 for the Australia vs New Zealand match and on May 3 at Penrith for the match between Fiji and Samoa.
The winner would compete in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament in Australia and New Zealand and in the Country vs City match at Dubbo on May 4.
There would also be a women's match -a first - to feature an All Stars team and Indigenous All Stars team as the pre-match to the Kangaroos-Kiwis Test.
Here's a look back at the Anzac Test 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Iggy Azalea Sex Tape: The Story So Far
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone