Australia, New Zealand Are Hosts of 2017 Rugby World Cup (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 20, 2014 10:07 AM EST
Iran Requires Compulsory Gender Tests for Members of Female Football Team Amid Report Some Are Men With Incomplete Sex Change Operations
Sochi Olympics 2014: Russia vs Slovenia Men’s Hockey Game Helps Olympic Organisers Reach 1 Million Ticket Sales on Friday (VIDEOS)
It would be the 15th competition. Nigel Wood, chairman of the bid committee and RLIF vice chairman, said the two bids were thoroughly compelling, however, the committee favoured the joint Australia/New Zealand bid as the one with the greatest chance of success to provide more compelling games in world-class environments and in front of big, passionate crowds.
The two nations jointly hosted the international competition in 1968 and 1977, making the 2017 event their third collaboration.
South Africa sent a team in the 1995 and 2008 World Cups, but still made a bid even if there are only few domestic rugby games in the country out of the belief that it could help make the game known internationally by hosting the sports competition.
Wood acknowledged that the bid from South Africa was very strong, professionally prepared and demonstrated clearly the nation's passion for rugby which continues to grow daily.
Also on Wednesday, the NRL announced the 2014 mid-season Anzac Test will be held in Sydney. It would be the first meeting between the Kangaroos and the Kiwis since Australia won the World Cup final over New Zealand in 2013.
YouTube/Rugby League World Cup 2013
The Test, would be held at the Allianz Stadium on May 2 for the Australia vs New Zealand match and on May 3 at Penrith for the match between Fiji and Samoa.
The winner would compete in the end-of-season Four Nations tournament in Australia and New Zealand and in the Country vs City match at Dubbo on May 4.
There would also be a women's match -a first - to feature an All Stars team and Indigenous All Stars team as the pre-match to the Kangaroos-Kiwis Test.
Here's a look back at the Anzac Test 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related