Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett Still in the Lead for the Upcoming Oscars?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 20, 2014 9:45 AM EST
The recent conclusion of the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) has made the upcoming Oscars more exciting and many are already curious who will win the awards for the special night. The two women who have emerged victorious in the said awards night were Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" for the Best Actress award and Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" for the Best Supporting Actress award.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The competition for the two awards was fierce and most critics and fans alike are trying to guess who will reign victorious in the Oscars. Many are asking if the Oscar winners will mirror the BAFTA since most people feel that the latter is like a test-run for the former. However, Hollywood insiders feel that it is still anybody's game for the contenders for these two awards are pretty fierce and are all deserving.
For the Best Actress award, actresses Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine," Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Meryl Streep in "August: Osage County," Judi Dench in "Philomena," and Sandra Bullock in "Gravity" are all competing for the spot.
For the Best Supporting Actress, actresses Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle," Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years a Slave," Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County," and June Squibb in "Nebraska" are vying for the same award.
The performance of Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" was applauded by many critics and this also goes the same for Lawrence in "American Hustle" but no one knows for sure if these two stars will be taking home an Oscar or not. The chance of Blanchett in winning the award for her performance may also be affected by the recent scandals involving Woody Allen, her director in the "Blue Jasmine."
One of the unexpected win in BAFTA was Lawrence since Lupita has been a crowd favourite. In the previous 2013 Oscars, Lawrence had already won the Best Actress award in her performance in "Silver Linings Playbook" and winning two Oscars in a row might still be uncertain. These are still Oscar predictions from the LA Times but fans still need to stay tuned for the actual list of nominees on March 2, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- 'The Big Bang Theory' Season 8 Episode 7 Spoilers: Penny Takes Off Her Ring In The Misinterpretation Agitation [VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 4 New Zealand Promo: Beth Greene’s Brave Side In 'Slabtown'
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy