Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett Still in the Lead for the Upcoming Oscars?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 20, 2014 9:45 AM EST
The recent conclusion of the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) has made the upcoming Oscars more exciting and many are already curious who will win the awards for the special night. The two women who have emerged victorious in the said awards night were Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" for the Best Actress award and Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" for the Best Supporting Actress award.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The competition for the two awards was fierce and most critics and fans alike are trying to guess who will reign victorious in the Oscars. Many are asking if the Oscar winners will mirror the BAFTA since most people feel that the latter is like a test-run for the former. However, Hollywood insiders feel that it is still anybody's game for the contenders for these two awards are pretty fierce and are all deserving.
For the Best Actress award, actresses Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine," Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Meryl Streep in "August: Osage County," Judi Dench in "Philomena," and Sandra Bullock in "Gravity" are all competing for the spot.
For the Best Supporting Actress, actresses Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle," Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years a Slave," Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County," and June Squibb in "Nebraska" are vying for the same award.
The performance of Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" was applauded by many critics and this also goes the same for Lawrence in "American Hustle" but no one knows for sure if these two stars will be taking home an Oscar or not. The chance of Blanchett in winning the award for her performance may also be affected by the recent scandals involving Woody Allen, her director in the "Blue Jasmine."
One of the unexpected win in BAFTA was Lawrence since Lupita has been a crowd favourite. In the previous 2013 Oscars, Lawrence had already won the Best Actress award in her performance in "Silver Linings Playbook" and winning two Oscars in a row might still be uncertain. These are still Oscar predictions from the LA Times but fans still need to stay tuned for the actual list of nominees on March 2, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June