Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett Still in the Lead for the Upcoming Oscars?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 20, 2014 9:45 AM EST
The recent conclusion of the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) has made the upcoming Oscars more exciting and many are already curious who will win the awards for the special night. The two women who have emerged victorious in the said awards night were Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" for the Best Actress award and Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" for the Best Supporting Actress award.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The competition for the two awards was fierce and most critics and fans alike are trying to guess who will reign victorious in the Oscars. Many are asking if the Oscar winners will mirror the BAFTA since most people feel that the latter is like a test-run for the former. However, Hollywood insiders feel that it is still anybody's game for the contenders for these two awards are pretty fierce and are all deserving.
For the Best Actress award, actresses Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine," Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Meryl Streep in "August: Osage County," Judi Dench in "Philomena," and Sandra Bullock in "Gravity" are all competing for the spot.
For the Best Supporting Actress, actresses Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle," Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years a Slave," Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County," and June Squibb in "Nebraska" are vying for the same award.
The performance of Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" was applauded by many critics and this also goes the same for Lawrence in "American Hustle" but no one knows for sure if these two stars will be taking home an Oscar or not. The chance of Blanchett in winning the award for her performance may also be affected by the recent scandals involving Woody Allen, her director in the "Blue Jasmine."
One of the unexpected win in BAFTA was Lawrence since Lupita has been a crowd favourite. In the previous 2013 Oscars, Lawrence had already won the Best Actress award in her performance in "Silver Linings Playbook" and winning two Oscars in a row might still be uncertain. These are still Oscar predictions from the LA Times but fans still need to stay tuned for the actual list of nominees on March 2, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Rihanna Nude Photos Leaked – The Fappening 2: Second Wave Of Celebrities Nude Pictures Leak on 4chan And Reddit
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia