Jennifer Lawrence, Cate Blanchett Still in the Lead for the Upcoming Oscars?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 20, 2014 9:45 AM EST
The recent conclusion of the BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) has made the upcoming Oscars more exciting and many are already curious who will win the awards for the special night. The two women who have emerged victorious in the said awards night were Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" for the Best Actress award and Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle" for the Best Supporting Actress award.
Actress Jennifer Lawrence of the film "American Hustle" arrives at the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles, California January 18, 2014.
The competition for the two awards was fierce and most critics and fans alike are trying to guess who will reign victorious in the Oscars. Many are asking if the Oscar winners will mirror the BAFTA since most people feel that the latter is like a test-run for the former. However, Hollywood insiders feel that it is still anybody's game for the contenders for these two awards are pretty fierce and are all deserving.
For the Best Actress award, actresses Cate Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine," Amy Adams in the "American Hustle," Meryl Streep in "August: Osage County," Judi Dench in "Philomena," and Sandra Bullock in "Gravity" are all competing for the spot.
For the Best Supporting Actress, actresses Jennifer Lawrence in "American Hustle," Sally Hawkins in "Blue Jasmine," Lupita Nyong'o in "12 Years a Slave," Julia Roberts in "August: Osage County," and June Squibb in "Nebraska" are vying for the same award.
The performance of Blanchett in "Blue Jasmine" was applauded by many critics and this also goes the same for Lawrence in "American Hustle" but no one knows for sure if these two stars will be taking home an Oscar or not. The chance of Blanchett in winning the award for her performance may also be affected by the recent scandals involving Woody Allen, her director in the "Blue Jasmine."
One of the unexpected win in BAFTA was Lawrence since Lupita has been a crowd favourite. In the previous 2013 Oscars, Lawrence had already won the Best Actress award in her performance in "Silver Linings Playbook" and winning two Oscars in a row might still be uncertain. These are still Oscar predictions from the LA Times but fans still need to stay tuned for the actual list of nominees on March 2, 2014.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff