iPhone 6 Release Date: Early Launch for Apple's Flagship Smartphone?
By Raymond Ronamai | February 19, 2014 11:50 PM EST
From a business point of view, Apple Inc. should launch its upcoming flagship smartphone iPhone 6 in the third or fourth quarter of the year but it looks like the Cupertino giant is now under pressure to release the device early, with archrivals Samsung Electronics set to release the Galaxy S5 this month.
Lewi Hussey via ConceptsiPhone
iPhone 6 Concept Image by Lewi Hussey
Several reports have claimed that Apple would launch its next-generation smartphone even before iPhone 5S and 5C complete its one-year run in the market. If those reports turn out to be true, it could be either to counter Samsung's possible dominance in the market with its upcoming Galaxy S5, or due to poor sales of its latest smartphones iPhone 5S and 5C.
Samsung is expected to release Galaxy S5 at the company's Mobile World Congress (MWC) on 24 February. The South Korean giant had earlier given out a press invite titled "UNPACKED5", indicating that the new smartphone would be released on the day.
Apple Inc., which repurchased US$14 billion worth of its stock earlier this month, had a disappointing first-quarter results that could be an outcome of iPhone 5C's poor sales. Several reports suggested that sales numbers of the cheaper-range smartphone was not impressive.
There are conflicting reports on the release date of iPhone 6 with some arguing that it would be released in June, while others say it would happen only in September. South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities, Chinese Analyst Sun Changxu and Jefferies analyst Peter Misek have all stated that Apple would release its much-awaited device at the WWDC event in June. However, several other media houses, including South China Morning Post, Tech Radar and ET News reported that the new smartphone would be launched only in September.
Apple's flagship smartphone is expected to sport a 4.7/4.8 or 5.5' display with a 1920x1080p (440ppi), or a 2272×1280 (510ppi), according to a note to investors by South Korea's brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities. It is expected to be powered by A8 chip (64-bit), run on iOS 7.2 and have a 1,800mAh battery.
It is also reported that iPhone 6 will have a screen entirely made from the scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass and will feature gesture control with 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell