6 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies - Apocalypto, Braveheart, Gladiator,10,000 BC, Pocahontas, 300
By Prerna Sood | February 19, 2014 11:22 PM EST
Who doesn’t love to go to the movies? Movies are the sole element in the entertainment aspect that connects people worldwide. When we go to watch a movie, we seldom care about how factually correct it is. When the words, ‘inspired from real life events’ flash across a movie screen, it instantly has the viewer’s undivided attention. History is oozing with remarkable events and people that serve as movie subjects.
'They will never take our freedom,' Mel Gibson declared as William Wallace in 'Braveheart'
Screenwriters often do a good job in weaving a gripping story-line using historic facts tweaking them here and there. However, critics are a tough nut to crack when it comes to these kinds of movies, they habitually point out at the nitty-gritties, if a film maker fails to portray the people or incidents in the film inaccurately.
Here, six movies have been gathered that have taken liberty with those little “facts” that the audience finds laughable.
This movie was a nightmare for Anthropology departments worldwide. Agreed, that the Maya indulged in human sacrifices but not to Kulkulkan (the Sun God). Also, they only killed high ranking captives from battle. At the end, the conquistadors arrive as nothing less than saviours; almost 90 per cent of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox from infected animals.
The film shows Wallace at the Battle of Falkirk use his charm to seduce King Edward II’s wife, Isabella. They went on to have an affair as a result of which Edward III was born. But history begs to differ. The books state that Isabella was three years old at the time of Falkirk and Edward III was born seven years post Wallace’s death.
The most evident liberty this film takes is showing Xerxes as an eight-foot tall Persian king. Also, the council of Sparta comprised of older men (all above the age of 60) and no one as young as Theron (shown as a 30 something council man).
As portrayed in the movie, Emperor Commodus was not obsessed with his sister. It is shown that he ruled inappropriately for a couple of months whereas the fact is that he efficiently ruled for about a decade.
It is extremely odd that this movie shows woolly mammoths being used to build pyramids, which unfortunately is not the case. They were not even found in the desert! And there is no evidence of any pyramids existing before 2,500 BC.
John Smith and Pocahontas, as shown in the film, were not romantically inclined towards each other. Pocahontas was aged about ten years old when both meet for the first time. She then abandoned her tribe after a tiff with her father and died at the age of 21 due to a disease.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’