6 Most Historically Inaccurate Movies - Apocalypto, Braveheart, Gladiator,10,000 BC, Pocahontas, 300
By Prerna Sood | February 19, 2014 11:22 PM EST
Who doesn’t love to go to the movies? Movies are the sole element in the entertainment aspect that connects people worldwide. When we go to watch a movie, we seldom care about how factually correct it is. When the words, ‘inspired from real life events’ flash across a movie screen, it instantly has the viewer’s undivided attention. History is oozing with remarkable events and people that serve as movie subjects.
'They will never take our freedom,' Mel Gibson declared as William Wallace in 'Braveheart'
Screenwriters often do a good job in weaving a gripping story-line using historic facts tweaking them here and there. However, critics are a tough nut to crack when it comes to these kinds of movies, they habitually point out at the nitty-gritties, if a film maker fails to portray the people or incidents in the film inaccurately.
Here, six movies have been gathered that have taken liberty with those little “facts” that the audience finds laughable.
This movie was a nightmare for Anthropology departments worldwide. Agreed, that the Maya indulged in human sacrifices but not to Kulkulkan (the Sun God). Also, they only killed high ranking captives from battle. At the end, the conquistadors arrive as nothing less than saviours; almost 90 per cent of the native American population was wiped out due to smallpox from infected animals.
The film shows Wallace at the Battle of Falkirk use his charm to seduce King Edward II’s wife, Isabella. They went on to have an affair as a result of which Edward III was born. But history begs to differ. The books state that Isabella was three years old at the time of Falkirk and Edward III was born seven years post Wallace’s death.
The most evident liberty this film takes is showing Xerxes as an eight-foot tall Persian king. Also, the council of Sparta comprised of older men (all above the age of 60) and no one as young as Theron (shown as a 30 something council man).
As portrayed in the movie, Emperor Commodus was not obsessed with his sister. It is shown that he ruled inappropriately for a couple of months whereas the fact is that he efficiently ruled for about a decade.
It is extremely odd that this movie shows woolly mammoths being used to build pyramids, which unfortunately is not the case. They were not even found in the desert! And there is no evidence of any pyramids existing before 2,500 BC.
John Smith and Pocahontas, as shown in the film, were not romantically inclined towards each other. Pocahontas was aged about ten years old when both meet for the first time. She then abandoned her tribe after a tiff with her father and died at the age of 21 due to a disease.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon