Finnish Reindeer Given Glowing Antlers to Prevent Accidents
By Parismita Goswami | February 19, 2014 10:33 PM EST
Reindeer with glowing antlers can now be spotted in northern Finland, courtesy of a reflective spray used to make them more visible to passersby, in an attempt to curb car accidents involving the animals.
"We are hoping that it is so useful that we can use the spray in the entire region and on all reindeer, from young to old," said Anne Ollila, head of Finland's Reindeer Herders' Association, in a statement. [To see a photo of reindeer with glowing antlers, click here]
The test started last week with 20 reindeer having sprayed in the Rovaniemi district, the capital of the Lapland region.
Two types of glow-in-dark spays have been tested on the reindeer antlers by the association, to make them more visible to drivers at night.
The two different types of reflective liquid sprays used were: a permanent spray for the antlers, and a spray that can be washed away for the fur.
Every year, reindeer face around 3,000 to 5,000 accidents - according to Ollila - which she considers are "much deadlier for the reindeer than for the drivers."
The association is hoping to spray more reindeers in the coming autumn, if the test shows positive results.
Most accidents occur in Lapland, which is one of Europe's most densely populated regions, attracting thousands of tourists, especially during Christmas season.
Reindeer breeders in Finland hope that the new method will prevent thousands of reindeer from being involved in road accidents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More