Wisconsin National Guard Terry Harrison May Get Fired for 'Funeral Jokes'
By Johnlee Varghese | February 19, 2014 10:00 PM EST
Wisconsin Army National Guard member Terry Harrison who posted "controversial and distasteful photos" on Instagram about military funerals has already been suspended. Harrison will now be dealt as per the Uniform Code of Military Justice for her actions and could face a one rank demotion or, worse still, may even get a general discharge.
General discharges are usally given to service members whose performance is satisfactory but is marked by a considerable departure in duty performance and conduct, expected of military members. In Harrison' case it will be misconduct.
The 'funeral joke' controversy has created much public uproar. There has been an increasing call for stricter punishment for Harrison, for hurting public sentiments, especially of families who have lost their 'loved ones' during military service.
An American war veteran, with the Twitter handle Beamster, pointed out that the maximum sentence that Harrison could face is general discharge, and the least would be a one rank demotion.
— Beamster (@The_Beamster) February 19, 2014
Spc. Harrison had posted an Instagram picture with the caption: "It's so damn cold out... WHY have a funeral outside!? Somebody's getting a jacked up flag." In another photo, Harrison and several other military guard trainees from around the country are seen posing disrespectfully in front of an empty, flag-draped casket. The caption on that photo reads: "We put the FUN in funeral -- your fearless honor guard from various states ... #honorguard #pec #dorks." The photo was taken at the Professional Education Center, a National Guard training facility in North Little Rock, Ark.
The Wisconsin Department of Military Affairs in a press release stated: "The Wisconsin National Guard became aware late Feb. 17 of controversial and distasteful photos and comments related to military funeral honors posted on social media websites."
Major Paul Rickert, the Wisconsin National Guard's director of public affairs, in the press statement hit out against the actions of Harrison. "A military funeral is the final show of respect for our veterans and their families, and we take that solemn duty very seriously," Rickert said. "The very name 'military funeral honors' underscores the importance we ascribe - both as the military and society at large - to such solemn occasions. These photos and comments do not appear to align with those values."
Spc. Harrison, who is with the Wisconsin-based 1st Battalion, 147th Aviation Regiment, has been indefinitely suspended from funeral honors, pending inquiry, he noted.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff