Indian Man Born Without Ears Can Hear, Respond
By Roshni Mahesh | February 19, 2014 9:20 PM EST
A 30-year-old man from Rajasthan has surprised the whole country by being able to hear and respond, irrespective of the fact that he does not have an external ear or visible ear canal.
A 30-year-old man from Rajasthan has surprised the whole country for being able to hear and respond, irrespective of the fact that, he does not have an external ear or visible ear canal.
Apparently, the Dausa-based man named Daulatram Jangid was born with the rare condition.
"I have this defect by birth and have no external pinnae nor any hole," he told IBN Live.
Doctors said that it's a rare form of birth defect and in some people born with the condition, the middle and internal hearing organs are in proper working condition. "Of course, a human being without pinnae (external ears) and hole can hear if his middle and internal organs are fit. Such patient listens through bone conduction of skull but the quality of voice heard might not be clear because there is absence of air conduction," Dr Neeraj Kasliwal, prominent ENT surgeon and head of department at Fortis Hospital in Jaipur, told IBN Live.
Plastic surgery and Bone Anchord Hearing Aid (BAHA) are the two possible methods to treat and improve the hearing ability among this people, he added.
Though Jangid has four siblings, he is the only person in the family affected with the abnormality. During a talk with the press, he recalled how the condition made his life miserable at the school. Though he managed to overcome his difficulties and study till class 10, Jangid, a carpenter by profession is still struggling to get married and settle down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- HIV/AIDS Cure a Step Closer with Anti-Cancer Drugs 'Kicking' Virus Out of Infected Cells
- 232 Teeth Extracted from a Teenager: World Record
- Dwayne Johnson Talks About Overcoming Depression
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Agrees To Pay $190 Million To Settle Gynaecology Scandal
- Paris Hilton Quits Junk Food: A High Fat Diet Could Destroy Your Sense of Smell, Study
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown