Indian Man Born Without Ears Can Hear, Respond
By Roshni Mahesh | February 19, 2014 9:20 PM EST
A 30-year-old man from Rajasthan has surprised the whole country by being able to hear and respond, irrespective of the fact that he does not have an external ear or visible ear canal.
A 30-year-old man from Rajasthan has surprised the whole country for being able to hear and respond, irrespective of the fact that, he does not have an external ear or visible ear canal.
Apparently, the Dausa-based man named Daulatram Jangid was born with the rare condition.
"I have this defect by birth and have no external pinnae nor any hole," he told IBN Live.
Doctors said that it's a rare form of birth defect and in some people born with the condition, the middle and internal hearing organs are in proper working condition. "Of course, a human being without pinnae (external ears) and hole can hear if his middle and internal organs are fit. Such patient listens through bone conduction of skull but the quality of voice heard might not be clear because there is absence of air conduction," Dr Neeraj Kasliwal, prominent ENT surgeon and head of department at Fortis Hospital in Jaipur, told IBN Live.
Plastic surgery and Bone Anchord Hearing Aid (BAHA) are the two possible methods to treat and improve the hearing ability among this people, he added.
Though Jangid has four siblings, he is the only person in the family affected with the abnormality. During a talk with the press, he recalled how the condition made his life miserable at the school. Though he managed to overcome his difficulties and study till class 10, Jangid, a carpenter by profession is still struggling to get married and settle down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef