#LiarKejriwal: Why is Twitterati Grilling and Bashing Arvind Kejriwal Almost Every day? [Top 5 Funny Tweets]
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2014 8:40 PM EST
Shall we call this a down side to being a public figure? Or is it now time to call it a misuse and overuse of social media? Have politicians finally found a reason to be afraid of? Or is the public simply using the social media to raise their voice - often with grim taste - which they cannot do in reality?
Soon after he came to power in December, it started with a satire hash tag called #YoKejriSoHonest, which mocked AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal's apparent persona of being 'honest'. As people discovered that public bashing of the Delhi CM works exceptionally well in social networks such as Twitter, another hash tag soon popped up out of nowhere. This time they mocked his 'bravery' with a torrent of tweets with #YoKejriSoBrave tag.
Soon the trend gained extraordinary public interest as the grilling and bashing process of the newly elected Delhi Chief Minister and his Aam Aadmi party added to the joy of every twitter user. The Dharna that Kejriwal staged against the Delhi police soon became #AapDrama while those who made the mistake of even remotely supporting the party and the AAP chief had to live with their newly acquired namesake: #Aaptards.
After the 45-year-old resigned when the Jan Lokpal bill was stopped from being tabled in Delhi last week, Kejriwal was mounted with heaps of tweets with #BagodaKejri tag, where users almost unanimously blamed him for 'running away'. Now, in the latest turn of events, after people discovered that the claim made by the politician and his party member Shazia Ilmi -- that the corruption level of Delhi had reduced during the 49-day rule of the party-- was a 'lie'; Twitter was flooded on Wednesday with thousands of tweets with a new hash tag called #LiarKejriwal.
Although it is easy to understand that the 21st century public have now been bestowed with an amazing tool wherein they can check every move by politicians and public and report any hints of wrong-doings, is there any way to draw a line between saying what one feels and what the reality is?
The blatant downside to the ever-growing trend of twitter grilling, is that there is absolutely no restriction on what people could say - from perverse and profane representation of the person concerned, to outrageous name-calling and accusations.
On the other hand, considering that social media could also check the 'media' itself - as seen in the latest bashing of famed TV journalist Arnab Goswami with #GetWellSoonArnab Jokes - public appears to have found a medium, by which they could potentially call themselves the 'fifth estate' of the country. If the media-popularly referred to as the fourth estate --checks the Executive, legislative and Judiciary; the Social media checks all of the above including the media itself.
Now, the debate of whether or not the frequent bashing of Arvind Kejriwal is justified is another matter. But some of the funny tweets that people have tweeted with the latest hashtag #LiarKejriwal is worth looking at for the sake of having fun, if not for serious deliberations.
Here are some of the funniest ones:
— ॐ Hardik ॐ [#HDL] (@iHardikBhatt) February 19, 2014
#LiarKejriwal and his Blind AAPtard Bhaktas badly exposed lying another thing pic.twitter.com/hqm7nQAcyd — Sanjay #Chaiwala (@sanjay1502) February 19, 2014
1) I won't fight elections: U turn 2) I don't want to be CM: U turn 3) I don't need Sarkari Bungalow: U turn Cont... 1/3 #LiarKejriwal
— Utpal Pathak (@PunyaPrakop) February 19, 2014
Kejri baba always asks proof when AAP guys get caught. But #LiarKejriwal can shoot and scoot when it comes to others. pic.twitter.com/cwdGcdbX4v — Kiran Kumar S (@KiranKS) February 19, 2014
— Yogendra Yadav (@khAAPYogendra) February 19, 2014
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup