Boxing News: Amir Khan Quitting on Floyd Mayweather Jr. Fight as Marcos Maidana Begins Negotiation With Money May's Camp
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 19, 2014 7:41 PM EST
Great Britain's top welterweight Amir Khan has apparently given up on his dream of fighting pound-for-pound champ Floyd Mayweather Jr, after the two-time Jr. Welterweight champ expressed his desire to take on a 'Plan B' opponent during an interview with Fight Hype on Monday.
Mayweather vs. Maidana
Khan, who emerged as an early favourite to take on Money May before losing momentum primarily because of the rise of Marcos Maidana as a top contender, said that a showdown with Mayweather remains his top goal, but admitted that he has a backup plan in case he fails to come up with an agreement with the Grand Rapids Native.
"I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens," Khan to Fighthype on Monday. "Early May or end of April, I want to fight because I want to keep myself busy, you know. I've been at it for a long time, so I definitely have a date around that time, yeah. We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight. Look, the aim and the goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards that fight. That's what we're hoping for."
Boxing 24 pundit Scott Gilfoid believes that Khan could be pitted against up-and-coming welterweight sluggers such as Lucas Matthysse of Argentina, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter, Demon Alexander or even former foe Lamont Peterson, who took his Jr. Welterweight belt in a controversial match in Washington few years ago.
"Schaefer will likely offer Khan a fight against the likes of Lucas Matthysse, Keith Thurman, Shawn Porter, Devon Alexander, Robert Guerrero and Lamont Peterson."
According to Gilfoid, Khan's best option might be Shawn Porter, who is coming off an upset win over Alexander to grab the IBF Welterweight title. A victory against Porter will surely catapult Khan back in contention for a possible slugfest with Mayweather either in September 2014 or early 2015.
"Out of that bunch, Porter would seem to be the best option for Khan because he has the IBF welterweight title in his possession. If Khan can defeat Porter, he'd be increasing his chances of getting a Mayweather fight in September or in 2015, because it would be a unification match and Mayweather might see that as more tempting than just fighting Khan without a title," Gilfoid stressed.
Meanwhile, Maidana's manager has reportedly met with Mayweather's camp, particularly Al Haymon, to arrange a showdown between the two welterweight champions on May 3 at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada.
"We are scheduled to talk to Al Haymon this afternoon, in a few hours, and then, we'll see how things are going," Contursi said to RingTV via Boxing News 24. "We'll have to talk. I think that they have to make a decision either today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. They have to make the decision."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones