Apple Will No Longer Create iPad 2: Company To Produce Another Type Of iPad With Sapphire Screen
By Precious Silva | February 19, 2014 7:40 PM EST
Apple Inc CEO Tim Cook speaks about the new iPad Air and the iPad mini with Retnia display during an Apple event in San Francisco, California October 22, 2013.
According to latest reports, Apple will be killing its iPad lineup. It has been 3 years since the company started selling the unit. Similar to what the company has been stressing for months, Apple has been gearing up to develop the usual lineups, including iPhone. Will the next-generation iPad be any good?
AppleInsider reported the company will retire iPad 2 lineup as more consumers find iPad Mini Retina and iPad Air more attractive. The two devices are more portable and packed with upgraded specs. KGI Securities Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted in November the Cupertino-based company may conclude the production of iPad 2. The analyst added it will likely be around the first quarter of 2014.
Apple still sells its old devices despite newer devices hitting the shelves. Once the third and fourth generation iPads were released, people expected the company to lower the price of its previous offerings. But iPad Mini Retina has the same selling price, except in India. It does not seem a good investment anymore for the company to sell iPad 2 at a similar price. It cannot compete against the new features of iPad Mini.
According to reports, Apple will continue selling iPads at a discount price until stocks run out. The company will be gearing up in the release of the refreshed line of iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina and iPad Pro.
The iPad Pro was reported to be a hybrid of iPad and MacBook Pro. Also, if the reports about the iPhone were to push through, the sapphire screen technology may find its way to other Apple products like iPad. The company has started production of sapphire materials. It has also acquired a series of patents that support the inclusion of sapphire materials to a series of products.
People will have to wait for the official announcements from the company. Analysts believe Apple will shed more light on its products during the Worldwide Developers Conference.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast