NBA Trade Deadline: LA Lakers Prepare Package for Kevin Love; Pau Gasol, First-Round Pick Could Be Sent to Minnesota T-Wolves
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 19, 2014 7:33 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly preparing a package for Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love with the hope of landing the talented power forward before the Feb 20 trade deadline, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
The Lakers apparently could not wait for two more years to acquire Love, as recent reports indicated that General Manager Mitch Kupchak is preparing a package for the All-Star big man.
"The NBA trade deadline is just two days away and once again, Kevin Love has been the focal point of trade talks. It was reported today that the Lakers and Mavericks are in the mix for Love as they both are trying to put together a package for the power forward that would tempt Minnesota to ship the All-Star west," Lakers Nation reported.
According to Lakers nation, the deal could be involved All-Star big man Pau Gasol, 2014 first-round pick and a handful of players in exchange for Love, who is putting up monster stats this 2013-14 season.
Love is averaging 25.8 points and 13.2 rebounds per game for the T-Wolves, but his effort was not enough to make his team a legitimate playoff contender in a very tough Western Conference.
Several weeks ago, Love was linked to a possible return in Los Angeles where he spent his college days at UCLA. The double-double machine is already drawing interest from the Lakers, NY Knicks and the Chicago Bulls, even if he has one-and-half season left before he can opt out from his contract with the Timberwolves.
Gasol is the only significant asset the Lakers have after breaking up their championship calibre core last season. The Spaniard will be an unrestricted free-agent after this season, but the T-Wolves management has always been in love to have a finesse player like Gasol who will pretty fit in with the team's up-tempo system.
"Love has two more years left with the Timberwolves before he will hit free agency. While the better move for the Lakers would be to wait until Summer 2015 to go after the Southern California native, it appears as if they will make the necessary moves to acquire Love before Thursday's trade deadline."
"Any package that the Lakers put together would have to include forward Pau Gasol, whose contract will expire this summer. The Lakers might also have to offer their first round pick in the upcoming draft," Lakers Nation added.
Then again, the ball is on the court of Wolves GM Flip Saunders, who previously stressed he won't make any deal involving Love. But with the trade deadline looming, surprising deals could happen in a blink of an eye.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales