NBA Trade Deadline: LA Lakers Prepare Package for Kevin Love; Pau Gasol, First-Round Pick Could Be Sent to Minnesota T-Wolves
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 19, 2014 7:33 PM EST
The Los Angeles Lakers are reportedly preparing a package for Minnesota Timberwolves star Kevin Love with the hope of landing the talented power forward before the Feb 20 trade deadline, a source close to situation reported on Tuesday.
Pau Gasol walks off the court after the Thunder eliminate the Lakers from the playoffs
The Lakers apparently could not wait for two more years to acquire Love, as recent reports indicated that General Manager Mitch Kupchak is preparing a package for the All-Star big man.
"The NBA trade deadline is just two days away and once again, Kevin Love has been the focal point of trade talks. It was reported today that the Lakers and Mavericks are in the mix for Love as they both are trying to put together a package for the power forward that would tempt Minnesota to ship the All-Star west," Lakers Nation reported.
According to Lakers nation, the deal could be involved All-Star big man Pau Gasol, 2014 first-round pick and a handful of players in exchange for Love, who is putting up monster stats this 2013-14 season.
Love is averaging 25.8 points and 13.2 rebounds per game for the T-Wolves, but his effort was not enough to make his team a legitimate playoff contender in a very tough Western Conference.
Several weeks ago, Love was linked to a possible return in Los Angeles where he spent his college days at UCLA. The double-double machine is already drawing interest from the Lakers, NY Knicks and the Chicago Bulls, even if he has one-and-half season left before he can opt out from his contract with the Timberwolves.
Gasol is the only significant asset the Lakers have after breaking up their championship calibre core last season. The Spaniard will be an unrestricted free-agent after this season, but the T-Wolves management has always been in love to have a finesse player like Gasol who will pretty fit in with the team's up-tempo system.
"Love has two more years left with the Timberwolves before he will hit free agency. While the better move for the Lakers would be to wait until Summer 2015 to go after the Southern California native, it appears as if they will make the necessary moves to acquire Love before Thursday's trade deadline."
"Any package that the Lakers put together would have to include forward Pau Gasol, whose contract will expire this summer. The Lakers might also have to offer their first round pick in the upcoming draft," Lakers Nation added.
Then again, the ball is on the court of Wolves GM Flip Saunders, who previously stressed he won't make any deal involving Love. But with the trade deadline looming, surprising deals could happen in a blink of an eye.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October