Canadian Olympic Medalist’s Brother Killed in Ski Accident
By Sounak Mukhopadhyay | February 19, 2014 7:25 PM EST
Canadian Olympic Medalist Edi Podivinsky's brother was killed in a ski accident. It happened at a ski resort in Montana.
Podivinsky got the news when his father called him to inform about his brother's death. It was when Podivinsky himself was skiing along with his own family. He might have been expecting many other phone calls since Canadian athlete Jan Hudec won the bronze at the Winter Olympics earlier. It was definitely a major achievement for Hudec who became the first athlete from Canada to win a medal in an alpine event at the Olympics since Podivinsky's bronze-winning performance in 1994.
On the contrary, it was not one of the reporters calling him to know about his opinion. It was his distressed father trying to break the tragic news to him. Tom was 48 when he was killed in the accident on Sunday, Feb 16. He was vacationing with his family, his children and wife when he met with the accident. He was an oil executive from Calgary. He was killed when, at Whitefish Mountain Resort, he fell into a tree well.
Tom was reported missing when he failed to attend a meeting previously planned. He was earlier separated from a friend whom he was skiing with around 12:30 in the afternoon. He was later discovered upside down in the tree well by ski patrollers, National Post reported. It was impossible for the patrollers to bring him back to life.
This is the second time in 2014 when someone was killed after falling in a tree well at Whitefish Mountain Resort. The resort authorities issued a statement on Monday, encouraging tourists to be extra careful while skiing amid the trees. According to the statement, the authorities were "deeply saddened" to know about the incident which they called an "unfortunate reminder" how risky tree wells could be for the sport.
Podivinsky said that his brother had lots of friends as he had "brought out the good" in all the people.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date