Elephants Embrace Each Other During Distress: Study
By Parismita Goswami | February 19, 2014 6:45 PM EST
According to a new study, Asian elephants recognize when a herd mate is upset and offer gentle care and sympathy.
Joshua Plotnik, a behavioral ecologist at Mahidol University in Kanchanaburi, Thailand and primatologist Frans de Waal, director of Emory University's Living Links Center did a thorough study to check exactly what these animals believe in and relate to during their times of hardship.
Elephants Consoles Each Other During Distress: Study Finds
The researchers observed 26 elephants of different ages at the Elephant Nature Park in the Mae Tang district of Chiang Main Province, Thailand. For a period of one year, the researchers spent about two weeks every month and three hours daily observing the behavior of the animals. Their findings showed evidences of "emotional contagion" when a herd mate tried consoling its upset mate.
"With their strong bonds, it is not surprising that elephants show concern for others. They get distressed when they see others in distress, reaching out to calm them down, not unlike the way chimpanzees or humans embrace someone who is upset", National Geographic quoted de Waal.
A stress-inducing situation might be a snake passing by the grass or a dog walking or a roar. At times, the reason for the stress was unknown. Sometimes mates chirped with vocal offerings that suggested the stressed one reassurance and sometimes these animals formed a shielding circle around the distressed one.
"They get distressed when they see others in distress, reaching out to calm them down, not unlike the way chimpanzees or humans embrace someone who is upset. Still, I was surprised at how consistent the elephants' consolation behavior was," said Plotnik.
The authors said that this new discovery is exciting as it shows behavioral emotions similar to that of humans.
The details of the findings have been published in the PeerJ journal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate