Serena, Ivanovic and Wozniacki Progress in Dubai while Sania Mirza Crashes Out
By Shruthi SU | February 19, 2014 5:43 PM EST
Seeded players Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Venus Williams and Caroline Wozniacki progressed to the next round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
Serena Williams took on Ekaterina Makarova for the first time after last month's loss against Ivanovic in the fourth round of the Australian open. Serena's been nursing a back injury ever since.
Russia's Makarova managed to challenge Serena in the first set whereas the American took the match 7-6, 6-0 to move further in the tournament.
"I was really telling myself to stay positive, because I was making a lot of errors that I normally don't make, and my serve just wasn't popping the way it normally is. I was just really trying to get in the rhythm," said the last year's French and US Open champion.
Serena will be looking forward to the upcoming matches since she has never won the Dubai Open before.
Ivanovic might have recently beaten the world no. 1 player, but, she had to work hard to beat the sixth seed Angelique Kerber. The former world no. 1, Ivanovic, was under a lot of pressure before beating her opponent 3-6, 6-3, 7-6.
"It was a great match in the end and the support from my fans means a lot to me," Ivanovic said. The Serbian will face Venus Williams in the next round. Their previous encounter was in Auckland last month when Ivanovic won it following a closely-fought battle.
"She's such a tough competitor, and she retrieves lots of balls. You just have to win points over and over again," Ivanovic said of her next opponent.
In other matches played so far, 2013 Wimbledon finalist Sabine Lisicki lost in the first round to Wozniacki 6-2, 3-6, 3-6. Wozniacki has reportedly said that she's more excited about her wedding with golfer Rory McIlroy at present.
Meanwhile, Sania Mirza along with her Zimbabwean doubles partner Cara Black crashed out of the Dubai Open in the first round. The duo lost 6-7, 7-5, 9-11 to Czech Republic's Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Safarova. In her previous two appearances at the Dubai Open, Sania had reached the finals. This year, however, the luck did not continue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]