Serena, Ivanovic and Wozniacki Progress in Dubai while Sania Mirza Crashes Out
By Shruthi SU | February 19, 2014 5:43 PM EST
Seeded players Serena Williams, Ana Ivanovic, Venus Williams and Caroline Wozniacki progressed to the next round of the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships.
Serena Williams took on Ekaterina Makarova for the first time after last month's loss against Ivanovic in the fourth round of the Australian open. Serena's been nursing a back injury ever since.
Russia's Makarova managed to challenge Serena in the first set whereas the American took the match 7-6, 6-0 to move further in the tournament.
"I was really telling myself to stay positive, because I was making a lot of errors that I normally don't make, and my serve just wasn't popping the way it normally is. I was just really trying to get in the rhythm," said the last year's French and US Open champion.
Serena will be looking forward to the upcoming matches since she has never won the Dubai Open before.
Ivanovic might have recently beaten the world no. 1 player, but, she had to work hard to beat the sixth seed Angelique Kerber. The former world no. 1, Ivanovic, was under a lot of pressure before beating her opponent 3-6, 6-3, 7-6.
"It was a great match in the end and the support from my fans means a lot to me," Ivanovic said. The Serbian will face Venus Williams in the next round. Their previous encounter was in Auckland last month when Ivanovic won it following a closely-fought battle.
"She's such a tough competitor, and she retrieves lots of balls. You just have to win points over and over again," Ivanovic said of her next opponent.
In other matches played so far, 2013 Wimbledon finalist Sabine Lisicki lost in the first round to Wozniacki 6-2, 3-6, 3-6. Wozniacki has reportedly said that she's more excited about her wedding with golfer Rory McIlroy at present.
Meanwhile, Sania Mirza along with her Zimbabwean doubles partner Cara Black crashed out of the Dubai Open in the first round. The duo lost 6-7, 7-5, 9-11 to Czech Republic's Andrea Hlavackova and Lucie Safarova. In her previous two appearances at the Dubai Open, Sania had reached the finals. This year, however, the luck did not continue.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date