PS4 vs. Xbox One Resolution Gate Continues: 'Watch Dogs,' 'Witcher 3' and 'Thief' Revealed
By Gel Galang | February 19, 2014 5:33 PM EST
Ever since the next-gen consoles PS4 and Xbox One have taken the main spotlight for games, both have been under scrutiny for what new aspect in gaming they bring to the table.
Sony, for the most part, has won over a number of fans with its focus on gaming, extensive and expansive IPs, and a powerful system overall, garnering a sales record that is said to have doubled Xbox One's.
And even after picking up the pieces following the flak at E3 2013, the Xbox One is still trudging behind, mostly because of the issue of resolution gate and the fact that a number of games reportedly have a higher resolution on the PS4 than the Xbox One.
*Kickstarter-funded game "Kingdom Come: Deliverance" has already been approved for both the PS4 and Xbox One: Read the details here.
'Watch Dogs' and 'The Witcher 3' Reports Resolution Differences
The newest leak from insider shinobi602 has pinpointed two more games that will feature the resolution gate for PS4 and Xbox One.
Gamepur has gathered the tweets of the insider pertaining to two games. The first is a hacking game undoubtedly Ubisoft's upcoming Watch Dogs.
1. Upcoming hacker game, 900p/30FPS XBO, 1080p/30FPS PS4
— shinobi602 (@shinobi602) February 17, 2014
Get your hats ready, Resolution-Gate coming to a Ubisoft game near you. :) That's all I can say. — Ahsan Rasheed (@thuway) January 25, 2014
The other tweet from shinobi602 goes:
2. Certain upcoming Polish game 720p/30FPS XBO, 900p/PS4 (working hard to keep 1080p).
— shinobi602 (@shinobi602) February 17, 2014
This game is said to be "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt" from CD Project RED.
'MGSV: Ground Zeroes': The 1,080p vs. 720p Battle
Just recently, the latest installment in Hideo Kojima's series has revealed its resolutions for both next-gen consoles. As expected, there was a difference in resolutions, with the PS4 running at 1,080p, while the Xbox One is only at 720p.
Mr Kojima does put in a bit of praise for the PS4, reports VG 24/7, wherein he does states that, overall, the PS4 may be the best, at least in his opinion.
"I think, between the home consoles available in the domestic market, the PS4 is the best," said Mr Kojima in a Famitsu interview as quoted by VG 24/7. "It's also excellent for graphics, being able to render 1080p at 60fps with room to spare. Since it does it a little better than other hardware, the image quality of the PS4 is the most beautiful. It's the closest to the photorealistic quality we are aiming at."
'Thief' Resolution Gate
Another game that features a disparity in resolutions is "Thief," Square Enix's upcoming stealth action game. It has been confirmed that, while both the PS4 and Xbox One will run at 30 fps, the PS4 will have a 1,080p resolution while the Xbox One has 900p.
In an interview with Eurogamer, Nicolas Cantin, game director, has revealed that there really is a difference in resolution, but also mentions that the Xbox One is as good as the PS4 version.
*Diancie has been unveiled as an official Pokemon that gamers can get for "Pokemon X and Y": Read the story here.
"You really need good eyes to see the difference," said Mr Cantin. "The immersion is more [on next-gen]. We put more detail in, more special effects. But at the same time, we kept the same gameplay experience with the current-gen and the next-gen versions," he added.
Basically, this means that there is still a big jump from the current-gen to the next-gen versions, wherein the comparisons would be more pronounced and supposedly "makes more difference."
Admittedly, the gap between the two is smaller compared to resolution differences in other games.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xbox’s September Games with Gold Features Halo Reach As Halo 5: Guardians And Master Chief Collection Get Details
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates From Devs Plus More On Minecraft On The Xbox Platform
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ Delayed To November As ‘Rogue’ Gets More Story Details
- ‘GTA 5’ Online Updates Radio For PS4, Xbox One As Rockstar Brings Allies For New Sale
- Sony Xperia Z3 Five Things Unveiled: 2 Metres Water-Resistance, Sprint US, Specifications, LTE Certification, Sports Sensor
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans