Samsung USA Details Galaxy Smartphone and Tablets Slated for Android KitKat Update; Rollout Begins
By Rohit KVN | February 19, 2014 4:24 PM EST
The list include 14 plus devices- Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S4, S4 Mini, S4 Active, S4 Zoom, Galaxy S3, S3 Mini, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy Light and tablets such as Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition), Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 3.
"Availability (of KitKat firmware) varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months", said the company.
The new update is said to bring in integrated location menu, enhanced messaging, upgraded Google Mobile Service (GMS) apps and more.
Key features of Android v4.4 KitKat OS update:
Location Menu: This integrated location menu enables users easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously keeping a tab on the battery consumption by the location service based apps.
Enhanced Google Mobile Service (GMS) apps: This application helps users to automatically back-up photos and video clips. They also can create, view, share rename Google Docs and files.
Improved Caller-ID: If a caller receives a call from unknown number, the phone will look for matches on the net with local listings via Google Maps.
Priority Contacts: The new OS empowers the phone to automatically prioritize contact list for easy access, based on the frequency of calls made to a number.
Immersive display: To enhance the entertainment factor, the new OS comes with immersive mode, where the status bar and navigation buttons disappear in to the back ground while you play music, games and read e-books. Users can just swipe the edge of the screen to bring back the utility buttons.
Enhanced Message grouping: Google has brought in some improvements to the new Hangouts app; now, users can find all their text SMSs and MMSs, audio and video call details all at one place. Users can also share location and send animated GIFs.
Emoji Characters: Initially users had to install third party app to use colorful characters in their SMS. Now, with KitKat update, the keypad comes pre-loaded with native Japanese Emoji emotion icons.
NFC and Wireless Printing: Google's new OS comes with a new Quickoffice app where-in people can create and store word documents in cloud storage as well as print files wirelessly on NFC-enabled HP printers.
Multi-tasking: With efficient memory management, users can multi-task by opening multiple applications and listen to music while you browse through the net.
Performance: Like all software updates, the new KitKat enhances smartphone's performance as well as efficient RAM management, leading to increase in battery
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices