Samsung Mobile Confirms 14 Galaxy Devices Getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat; Update Rolling Out on February 18
By Ryan Inoyori | February 19, 2014 4:20 PM EST
Samsung Mobile announced several Galaxy devices receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update and it already began on few selected units. Recipients include Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S4 Mini, S3, S3 Mini, Mega, Tab 3, Note 10.1 and more.
Official Software Update Announced
Samsung Telecommunications America announced the said update to provide innovative and easy-to-use features which enhances user experience among Galaxy device recipients. Included in the update are more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updates on apps.
1. Location Menu: Enables the user to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks while checking battery usage of apps running location service.
2. Enhanced Messaging: Users may choose between the default Samsung messaging app or Hangouts app. In addition, larger selections of Emoji icons have been included.
3. Upgraded Google Mobile Services: Automatic backup photos and videos with ability to open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.
Officially Announced Devices
Earlier leaks included older flagship smartphones and other mid-range Galaxy devices, but Samsung only confirmed the following units to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update starting this month.
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S4, S4 Active, S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S3 Mini
- Galaxy Mega (probably both sizes)
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
However, Samsung didn't include in their announcement which specific Galaxy devices are receiving live updates and users are forced to check via the built-in software updating app on the device or via Samsung Kies PC suite installed on a computer just to determine if their models have been qualified for the month.
Moreover, no details have been revealed regarding major bug fixes on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware reported by owners of Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 but we assume it is a part of the new software.
Other rumoured devices such as Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy Core are not yet included on the official list announced by Samsung.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is now rolling out to specific Galaxy models. Availability of the firmware depends on territories, network carrier and product which will continue throughout the coming months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible---Report
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks