Samsung Mobile Confirms 14 Galaxy Devices Getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat; Update Rolling Out on February 18
By Ryan Inoyori | February 19, 2014 4:20 PM EST
Samsung Mobile announced several Galaxy devices receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update and it already began on few selected units. Recipients include Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S4 Mini, S3, S3 Mini, Mega, Tab 3, Note 10.1 and more.
Official Software Update Announced
Samsung Telecommunications America announced the said update to provide innovative and easy-to-use features which enhances user experience among Galaxy device recipients. Included in the update are more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updates on apps.
1. Location Menu: Enables the user to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks while checking battery usage of apps running location service.
2. Enhanced Messaging: Users may choose between the default Samsung messaging app or Hangouts app. In addition, larger selections of Emoji icons have been included.
3. Upgraded Google Mobile Services: Automatic backup photos and videos with ability to open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.
Officially Announced Devices
Earlier leaks included older flagship smartphones and other mid-range Galaxy devices, but Samsung only confirmed the following units to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update starting this month.
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S4, S4 Active, S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S3 Mini
- Galaxy Mega (probably both sizes)
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
However, Samsung didn't include in their announcement which specific Galaxy devices are receiving live updates and users are forced to check via the built-in software updating app on the device or via Samsung Kies PC suite installed on a computer just to determine if their models have been qualified for the month.
Moreover, no details have been revealed regarding major bug fixes on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware reported by owners of Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 but we assume it is a part of the new software.
Other rumoured devices such as Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy Core are not yet included on the official list announced by Samsung.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is now rolling out to specific Galaxy models. Availability of the firmware depends on territories, network carrier and product which will continue throughout the coming months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 'No Man's Sky' For PlayStation 4: The Sun Will Burn Out But The Game Will Go On (Watch Trailer)
- ‘Minecraft Xbox One Edition’ Updates And A ‘Doctor Who’ DLC Coming
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ 1.17 Update May Feature Hydra and Army DLC As New Verified Jobs Emerge
- Android 5.0 L Update Forecast For Sony Xperia Z Series, Mid-Range and Low-Cost Devices
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Dragon Age Keep Save Import and Multiplayer Mode Explained
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- Amazon Threatened by Google’s Partnership with Barnes and Noble