Samsung Mobile Confirms 14 Galaxy Devices Getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat; Update Rolling Out on February 18
By Ryan Inoyori | February 19, 2014 4:20 PM EST
Samsung Mobile announced several Galaxy devices receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update and it already began on few selected units. Recipients include Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S4 Mini, S3, S3 Mini, Mega, Tab 3, Note 10.1 and more.
Official Software Update Announced
Samsung Telecommunications America announced the said update to provide innovative and easy-to-use features which enhances user experience among Galaxy device recipients. Included in the update are more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updates on apps.
1. Location Menu: Enables the user to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks while checking battery usage of apps running location service.
2. Enhanced Messaging: Users may choose between the default Samsung messaging app or Hangouts app. In addition, larger selections of Emoji icons have been included.
3. Upgraded Google Mobile Services: Automatic backup photos and videos with ability to open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.
Officially Announced Devices
Earlier leaks included older flagship smartphones and other mid-range Galaxy devices, but Samsung only confirmed the following units to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update starting this month.
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S4, S4 Active, S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S3 Mini
- Galaxy Mega (probably both sizes)
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
However, Samsung didn't include in their announcement which specific Galaxy devices are receiving live updates and users are forced to check via the built-in software updating app on the device or via Samsung Kies PC suite installed on a computer just to determine if their models have been qualified for the month.
Moreover, no details have been revealed regarding major bug fixes on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware reported by owners of Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 but we assume it is a part of the new software.
Other rumoured devices such as Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy Core are not yet included on the official list announced by Samsung.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is now rolling out to specific Galaxy models. Availability of the firmware depends on territories, network carrier and product which will continue throughout the coming months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Sony Xperia Z3X Expectations: Snapdragon 810 64-Bit Processor, No 4K Overheating And Longer 4K Videos
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money