Samsung Mobile Confirms 14 Galaxy Devices Getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat; Update Rolling Out on February 18
By Ryan Inoyori | February 19, 2014 4:20 PM EST
Samsung Mobile announced several Galaxy devices receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update and it already began on few selected units. Recipients include Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S4 Mini, S3, S3 Mini, Mega, Tab 3, Note 10.1 and more.
Official Software Update Announced
Samsung Telecommunications America announced the said update to provide innovative and easy-to-use features which enhances user experience among Galaxy device recipients. Included in the update are more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updates on apps.
1. Location Menu: Enables the user to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks while checking battery usage of apps running location service.
2. Enhanced Messaging: Users may choose between the default Samsung messaging app or Hangouts app. In addition, larger selections of Emoji icons have been included.
3. Upgraded Google Mobile Services: Automatic backup photos and videos with ability to open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.
Officially Announced Devices
Earlier leaks included older flagship smartphones and other mid-range Galaxy devices, but Samsung only confirmed the following units to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update starting this month.
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S4, S4 Active, S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S3 Mini
- Galaxy Mega (probably both sizes)
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
However, Samsung didn't include in their announcement which specific Galaxy devices are receiving live updates and users are forced to check via the built-in software updating app on the device or via Samsung Kies PC suite installed on a computer just to determine if their models have been qualified for the month.
Moreover, no details have been revealed regarding major bug fixes on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware reported by owners of Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 but we assume it is a part of the new software.
Other rumoured devices such as Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy Core are not yet included on the official list announced by Samsung.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is now rolling out to specific Galaxy models. Availability of the firmware depends on territories, network carrier and product which will continue throughout the coming months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- ‘Destiny’ Updates: Devs Talk About Raids and ‘Destiny’ Preorder And Preloading
- 7 New Video Games Set To Be Released On Sept. 2, 2014 Including ‘Warframe,’ 'Sims 4' And 'Dance Central Spotlight' [WATCH VIDEOS]
- A Curved Screen And 3G Connectivity Features of the Samsung’s Gear S Smartwatch
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged