Samsung Mobile Confirms 14 Galaxy Devices Getting Android 4.4.2 KitKat; Update Rolling Out on February 18
By Ryan Inoyori | February 19, 2014 4:20 PM EST
Samsung Mobile announced several Galaxy devices receiving Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update and it already began on few selected units. Recipients include Galaxy Note 3, Note 2, S4, S4 Mini, S3, S3 Mini, Mega, Tab 3, Note 10.1 and more.
Official Software Update Announced
Samsung Telecommunications America announced the said update to provide innovative and easy-to-use features which enhances user experience among Galaxy device recipients. Included in the update are more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updates on apps.
1. Location Menu: Enables the user to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks while checking battery usage of apps running location service.
2. Enhanced Messaging: Users may choose between the default Samsung messaging app or Hangouts app. In addition, larger selections of Emoji icons have been included.
3. Upgraded Google Mobile Services: Automatic backup photos and videos with ability to open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.
Officially Announced Devices
Earlier leaks included older flagship smartphones and other mid-range Galaxy devices, but Samsung only confirmed the following units to get Android 4.4.2 KitKat update starting this month.
- Galaxy Note 3
- Galaxy Note 2
- Galaxy S4, S4 Active, S4 Zoom
- Galaxy S4 Mini
- Galaxy S3
- Galaxy S3 Mini
- Galaxy Mega (probably both sizes)
- Galaxy Light
- Galaxy Note 8.0
- Galaxy Tab 3
- Galaxy Note 10.1
- Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition
However, Samsung didn't include in their announcement which specific Galaxy devices are receiving live updates and users are forced to check via the built-in software updating app on the device or via Samsung Kies PC suite installed on a computer just to determine if their models have been qualified for the month.
Moreover, no details have been revealed regarding major bug fixes on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware reported by owners of Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 but we assume it is a part of the new software.
Other rumoured devices such as Galaxy S Advance and Galaxy Core are not yet included on the official list announced by Samsung.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat update is now rolling out to specific Galaxy models. Availability of the firmware depends on territories, network carrier and product which will continue throughout the coming months this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge: Top Reasons To Upgrade From Galaxy Note 3 Or Galaxy Note 2
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- iOS 8 Bugs: Minor, Moderate And Serious Issues Why Users Should Not Upgrade Immediately
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best