‘MasterChef New Zealand’ Eliminated Team Sam And Collette Claim Show Set Them Up To Fail
By Anne Lu | February 19, 2014 4:07 PM EST
“MasterChef New Zealand” eliminated couple Sam and Collette claim that the show set them up to fail. Collette Lochore said that they were let go after their cheesecake disaster because they were given wrong sugar for the recipe.
The former beauty queen and her fiancé became the fourth couple that were eliminated from the show on Monday after they failed to impress the judges and the previous night’s Top Six teams with their lemon and passion mascarpone cheesecake.
Although the pair were confident that they could pull off cooking the dessert for 185 guests at Russell’s iconic Duke of Marlborough Hotel, they quickly struggled with problem after problem when they were preparing the cheesecake.
Collette particularly had trouble with making her lemon curd work.
Judge Ray McVinnie didn’t have any good thing to say about their dessert, telling them, “The flavours were all out of balance. Your dessert was so acidic that it was unpleasant to eat the whole plate.”
It wasn’t just Ray who found their cheesecake lacking. None of the judges and the Top Six teams thought that the couple’s dessert was good. And with less than satisfactory dish, Sam and Collette were eliminated.
Collette has an explanation why their lemon curd failed to impress with its unusual brown-green colour.
“We had no difficulties whatsoever, they just provided me with the wrong sugar,” she was quoted by the Fairfax NZ News as saying.
“That was pretty frustrating but you know it’s a reality show at the end of the day so they got to do what they got to do.”
She explained that the recipe for the cheesecake didn’t specify what type of sugar was required, and she was only given brown sugar.
“I’m not sure if it was a mistake on their part and they just put that mistake onto us and thought all of that would make good TV. I was like ‘I guess it’s the sugar you gave me’ and they’re like ‘no, it’s the white sugar.’
“So then I was like ‘well where is the white sugar?’ and they had to go into a room which we weren’t allowed to go into to get it. They had white sugar, but just not accessible to us.”
But despite what she thinks was an unfair challenge, she was grateful for the experience of being in the show.
“It’s OK, Sam and I are not too fussed over the whole thing, we were just there for the experience and it was a really good experience at that.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine