Italy's Ferrari Sees Record 2013 Revenue Despite Lower Deliveries
February 19, 2014 3:24 PM EST
Italy's Ferrari posted a 5 percent rise in 2013 revenue to a record 2.3 billion euros, even as deliveries to dealerships of road cars fell 5.4 percent to 6,922 units.
Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari f1 car
Ferrari's trading profit for the year - earnings before interest, tax and one-time items - rose 8.3 percent to 363.5 million euros, helping to erode some of parent group Fiat-Chrysler's (FIA.MI) losses in Europe.
While Europe's mass market carmakers have been forced to idle plants because of weak demand, Ferrari, which competes with Porsche and Jaguar in the market for high-performance sports cars, cut production in order to keep its cachet.
The agency said the carmaker scored highly on a variety of measures, from desirability, loyalty and consumer sentiment to visual identity and online presence.
Being the most powerful brand, however, does not make Ferrari the most valuable, Brand Finance said, as it is a niche, luxury brand, which has imposed a cap on production to protect its uniqueness.
Ferrari's $4 billion brand value puts it 350th in brand value terms, Brand Finance added, far behind category leader Apple (AAPL.O), whose brand value of $105 billion shows the technology group's ability to monetise its image.
"The prancing horse on a yellow badge is instantly recognizable the world over, even where paved roads have yet to reach," Brand Finance Chief Executive David Haigh said.
"Ferrari inspires more than just brand loyalty, more of a cultish, even quasi-religious devotion."
"We are proud to be representatives of the 'Made in Italy' label," Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo said. "We understand what our company represents in the world, not only in terms of image, quality or tradition, but also technological innovation."
Ferrari will present its latest new model, the California T, at the Geneva car show next month.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon