Italy's Ferrari Sees Record 2013 Revenue Despite Lower Deliveries
February 19, 2014 3:24 PM EST
Italy's Ferrari posted a 5 percent rise in 2013 revenue to a record 2.3 billion euros, even as deliveries to dealerships of road cars fell 5.4 percent to 6,922 units.
Fernando Alonso in his Ferrari f1 car
Ferrari's trading profit for the year - earnings before interest, tax and one-time items - rose 8.3 percent to 363.5 million euros, helping to erode some of parent group Fiat-Chrysler's (FIA.MI) losses in Europe.
While Europe's mass market carmakers have been forced to idle plants because of weak demand, Ferrari, which competes with Porsche and Jaguar in the market for high-performance sports cars, cut production in order to keep its cachet.
The agency said the carmaker scored highly on a variety of measures, from desirability, loyalty and consumer sentiment to visual identity and online presence.
Being the most powerful brand, however, does not make Ferrari the most valuable, Brand Finance said, as it is a niche, luxury brand, which has imposed a cap on production to protect its uniqueness.
Ferrari's $4 billion brand value puts it 350th in brand value terms, Brand Finance added, far behind category leader Apple (AAPL.O), whose brand value of $105 billion shows the technology group's ability to monetise its image.
"The prancing horse on a yellow badge is instantly recognizable the world over, even where paved roads have yet to reach," Brand Finance Chief Executive David Haigh said.
"Ferrari inspires more than just brand loyalty, more of a cultish, even quasi-religious devotion."
"We are proud to be representatives of the 'Made in Italy' label," Ferrari Chairman Luca di Montezemolo said. "We understand what our company represents in the world, not only in terms of image, quality or tradition, but also technological innovation."
Ferrari will present its latest new model, the California T, at the Geneva car show next month.
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Microsoft To Have Its Own Retail Outlet in Manhattan
- Telstra To Convert Old Payphones Into Wi-Fi Hotspots
- #Bendgate Video Hits Almost 46 Million In 5 Days, But Impact On Apple’s Finances Minimal
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes