Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat Update Release Date on Feb. 19 in the U.S. Cellular
By Karla Danica Figuerres | February 19, 2014 12:43 PM EST
Samsung Electronics' Galaxy S4 (L) and Apple's iPhone 5 are seen in this file picture illustration taken in Seoul on May 13, 2013. Samsung Electronics Co Ltd is bracing for its weakest smartphone profit growth in 2014 since 2007 as arch rival Apple Inc challenges its domination in China's $80 billion market. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji/Files
After the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4 received the Android 4.4 KitKat update last week, an internal document for the U.S. Cellular was leaked. According to the leaked document via Android Central, the update is called "Maintenance Release" and it will be available tomorrow.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update is not for every U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 users just yet. Not everyone will receive the Android 4.4 KitKat update on the launch date itself. Users who met the requirements will receive the update within 10 days after the launch date.
The Android 4.4 KitKat update will remove MobiTiles and Daily Perks. Basically, users need to re-download those apps from the Google Play.
Here are the requirements for the U.S. Cellular Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat update mentioned in the leaked document:
- Approved software versions MDB/MDL/MF5/MK2 on device.
- Device must be linked to a valid Google account.
- Device must be registered to the Samsung FOTA server.
- Device must have access to Wi-Fi to download the upgrade.
Meanwhile, there is no mention about the AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat update. Typically, updates start rolling out within a couple of weeks of each other. In the past, Verizon has been the last to start major updates.
Remarkably, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.4 KitKat update is rolling out in the U.S. ahead of the international version. At present the international roll out is limited in Korea with just two variants but it seems that Samsung is making a progress with testing the update.
Just recently, an Android 4.4 KitKat test firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S4 was recently leaked for the GT-I9505. The Android 4.4 KitKat firmware, with January 28th build date and I9505XXUFNAD build number is available via Sam Mobile. This test firmware is a sign that international Android 4.4 KitKat Update is on the way. Usually, Samsung takes a couple of weeks to push out major software updates.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery