Sen George Brandis Cheers Cate Blanchett, Baz Luhrmann for BAFTA Awards
By Athena Yenko | February 19, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Attorney-General for Australia Minister for the Arts George Brandis congratulates Australian talents who won BAFTA Awards. He acknowledged the many Australians' talent and creativity, both working on screen and behind the camera that brought pride for the country.
He said he was also looking forward for more Australian talents to be recognised in the international screen for 2014 awards season. He wished that those nominated for an Academy Award the best of luck for the March Awards ceremony.
"Today, on behalf of the Australian Government, I congratulate the three Australians whose work has been recognised at the 67th British Academy Film Awards, presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Congratulations to Cate Blanchett, winner of the British Academy Film Award for Best Actress for Blue Jasmine. Ms Blanchett recently won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture and is nominated for an Academy Award for her extraordinary performance in Blue Jasmine," Mr Brandis said.
He also congratulated Baz Luhrman and his team for "The Great Gatsby"---Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn for Best Production Design, and Catherine Martin for Best Costume Design who are also nominated for Academy Awards for their work on "The Great Gatsby."
He also lauded the Australian visual effects company Rising Sun Pictures for its work on "Gravity," winner of Best British Film.
Winning the BAFTA awards for the Best Actress category, out winning Judi Dench for "Philomena," Emma Thompson for "Saving Mr Banks," Sandra Bullock for "Gravity" and Amy Adma's for "American Hustle," gave Blanchett a chance to bag her second Academy Award.
Blanchett, in her speech, dedicated the award to her friend Philip Seymour Hoffman whom she referred to as the "a monumental presence who is now sadly an absence."
"You raised the bar continually so very, very high and I guess all we can do in your absence is to try and raise it continually through our work. So Phil, buddy, this is for you, you bastard, I hope you are proud," Blanchett said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2: Jessica Talks After Her Shocking Elimination
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes