Sen George Brandis Cheers Cate Blanchett, Baz Luhrmann for BAFTA Awards
By Athena Yenko | February 19, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Attorney-General for Australia Minister for the Arts George Brandis congratulates Australian talents who won BAFTA Awards. He acknowledged the many Australians' talent and creativity, both working on screen and behind the camera that brought pride for the country.
He said he was also looking forward for more Australian talents to be recognised in the international screen for 2014 awards season. He wished that those nominated for an Academy Award the best of luck for the March Awards ceremony.
"Today, on behalf of the Australian Government, I congratulate the three Australians whose work has been recognised at the 67th British Academy Film Awards, presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Congratulations to Cate Blanchett, winner of the British Academy Film Award for Best Actress for Blue Jasmine. Ms Blanchett recently won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture and is nominated for an Academy Award for her extraordinary performance in Blue Jasmine," Mr Brandis said.
He also congratulated Baz Luhrman and his team for "The Great Gatsby"---Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn for Best Production Design, and Catherine Martin for Best Costume Design who are also nominated for Academy Awards for their work on "The Great Gatsby."
He also lauded the Australian visual effects company Rising Sun Pictures for its work on "Gravity," winner of Best British Film.
Winning the BAFTA awards for the Best Actress category, out winning Judi Dench for "Philomena," Emma Thompson for "Saving Mr Banks," Sandra Bullock for "Gravity" and Amy Adma's for "American Hustle," gave Blanchett a chance to bag her second Academy Award.
Blanchett, in her speech, dedicated the award to her friend Philip Seymour Hoffman whom she referred to as the "a monumental presence who is now sadly an absence."
"You raised the bar continually so very, very high and I guess all we can do in your absence is to try and raise it continually through our work. So Phil, buddy, this is for you, you bastard, I hope you are proud," Blanchett said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight