Sen George Brandis Cheers Cate Blanchett, Baz Luhrmann for BAFTA Awards
By Athena Yenko | February 19, 2014 12:27 PM EST
Attorney-General for Australia Minister for the Arts George Brandis congratulates Australian talents who won BAFTA Awards. He acknowledged the many Australians' talent and creativity, both working on screen and behind the camera that brought pride for the country.
He said he was also looking forward for more Australian talents to be recognised in the international screen for 2014 awards season. He wished that those nominated for an Academy Award the best of luck for the March Awards ceremony.
"Today, on behalf of the Australian Government, I congratulate the three Australians whose work has been recognised at the 67th British Academy Film Awards, presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).
Congratulations to Cate Blanchett, winner of the British Academy Film Award for Best Actress for Blue Jasmine. Ms Blanchett recently won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture and is nominated for an Academy Award for her extraordinary performance in Blue Jasmine," Mr Brandis said.
He also congratulated Baz Luhrman and his team for "The Great Gatsby"---Catherine Martin and Beverly Dunn for Best Production Design, and Catherine Martin for Best Costume Design who are also nominated for Academy Awards for their work on "The Great Gatsby."
He also lauded the Australian visual effects company Rising Sun Pictures for its work on "Gravity," winner of Best British Film.
Winning the BAFTA awards for the Best Actress category, out winning Judi Dench for "Philomena," Emma Thompson for "Saving Mr Banks," Sandra Bullock for "Gravity" and Amy Adma's for "American Hustle," gave Blanchett a chance to bag her second Academy Award.
Blanchett, in her speech, dedicated the award to her friend Philip Seymour Hoffman whom she referred to as the "a monumental presence who is now sadly an absence."
"You raised the bar continually so very, very high and I guess all we can do in your absence is to try and raise it continually through our work. So Phil, buddy, this is for you, you bastard, I hope you are proud," Blanchett said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install