‘Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,’ Success or Flop?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 19, 2014 11:22 AM EST
The premiere for "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" last Monday night, February 17 in New York City by NBC with the new host, Jimmy Fallon, was eagerly awaited by many fans and critics alike of the show. Jimmy Fallon who succeeded after Jay Leno in hosting the "The Tonight Show" and many are watching his every move as he takes the limelight from the former host.
Late night talk show hosts Jay Leno (L) and Jimmy Fallon pose backstage at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, January 13, 2013.
"The Tonight Show" from NBC was started in 1954 and is considered as the longest running entertainment program in the United States, according to Wikipedia. The previous hosts of the said show were Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and Fallon. The hosting job for this late night talk show is one of the most talked about and argued.
Taking this job is a big thing for Fallon, especially since he has been hosting the "Late Night Show." He is also a member of the "Saturday Night Live" which gives him credibility in taking this new hosting job. After the premiere, what did viewers and critics think of the new host? There are several reviews online and some were good while others just okay.
One of the highlights if the show was when Fallon turned to the camera and said "To my buddy who said I'd never host The Tonight Show. You owe me a hundred bucks." It was the cue for the parade of several celebrities who handed him $100 dollars as if they really lost a bet with him.
The celebrities who made an appearance in this premiere night were Robert De Niro, Tina Fey, Joe Namath (football player), Rudy Giuliani (former mayor of New York), Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashians, Joan Rivers and many others. Last but definitely not the least was his timeslot rival Stephen Colbert who was caught saying "Welcome to 11:30, b*tch," according to the the Entertainment Weekly.
He presented himself like he couldn't believe he is already hosting the show and keeps himself humble. He's not as old as Leno and not as wacky as O'Brien but if Fallon plays his cards just right, he might be able to keep this hosting stint longer than his predecessors
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown