‘Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon,’ Success or Flop?
By Maychelle Ornos | February 19, 2014 11:22 AM EST
The premiere for "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" last Monday night, February 17 in New York City by NBC with the new host, Jimmy Fallon, was eagerly awaited by many fans and critics alike of the show. Jimmy Fallon who succeeded after Jay Leno in hosting the "The Tonight Show" and many are watching his every move as he takes the limelight from the former host.
Late night talk show hosts Jay Leno (L) and Jimmy Fallon pose backstage at the 70th annual Golden Globe Awards in Beverly Hills, California, January 13, 2013.
"The Tonight Show" from NBC was started in 1954 and is considered as the longest running entertainment program in the United States, according to Wikipedia. The previous hosts of the said show were Steve Allen, Jack Paar, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien and Fallon. The hosting job for this late night talk show is one of the most talked about and argued.
Taking this job is a big thing for Fallon, especially since he has been hosting the "Late Night Show." He is also a member of the "Saturday Night Live" which gives him credibility in taking this new hosting job. After the premiere, what did viewers and critics think of the new host? There are several reviews online and some were good while others just okay.
One of the highlights if the show was when Fallon turned to the camera and said "To my buddy who said I'd never host The Tonight Show. You owe me a hundred bucks." It was the cue for the parade of several celebrities who handed him $100 dollars as if they really lost a bet with him.
The celebrities who made an appearance in this premiere night were Robert De Niro, Tina Fey, Joe Namath (football player), Rudy Giuliani (former mayor of New York), Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Lindsay Lohan, Kim Kardashians, Joan Rivers and many others. Last but definitely not the least was his timeslot rival Stephen Colbert who was caught saying "Welcome to 11:30, b*tch," according to the the Entertainment Weekly.
He presented himself like he couldn't believe he is already hosting the show and keeps himself humble. He's not as old as Leno and not as wacky as O'Brien but if Fallon plays his cards just right, he might be able to keep this hosting stint longer than his predecessors
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- 'Glee' Season 6 Spoilers, Air Date: Naya Rivera Teases Wedding In Final Chapter, Lea Michele Tweets 700th Song Number
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]