When Will Floyd Mayweather Announce Next Opponent?
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 19, 2014 10:32 AM EST
When will Floyd Mayweather reveal his next opponent? As each day goes by, people are getting more and more anxious to know who he will fighting next, if it is Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana.
After Mayweather launched a poll, asking all boxing fans to vote for his next opponent, the boxing fans thought that he will be announcing the winner as soon as the voting ended on Sunday. Britain's Khan won the poll after getting the majority of more than 36,000 votes. However, several days had already passed, but the 36-year-old undefeated fighter has not said any word as far as his next opponent is concerned.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
All the delays that are happening right now is making Khan restructure his plans and look for other options. Khan told Fight Hype that he is beginning to consider a plan B. Mayweather's strategy of subtly buying time and procrastinating to announce his next opponent makes Khan ponder other possibilities somewhere else.
"I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens," said Khan.
"We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight."
Khan isn't losing his hopes of eventually landing a fight with Mayweather. He said, "The aim and goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards the fight."
Meanwhile, Maidana's manager Sebastian Contursi has reportedly met up with Mayweather's advisor Al Haymon on Monday afternoon, Ring TV reported. However, there are no information yet about how their meeting came about.
"I think that they have to make a decision either today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow," said Contursi.
"They have to make the decision. It's up to them."
Why hasn't Mayweather announced his next opponent, he's the only one who knows. Even though he hasn't announced his fight yet, he has already promoted his fight just by launching a poll. He is already getting a lot of attention from the UK and Argentina.
"He's still promoting the fight in two different parts of the world," said Khan.
"He's getting coverage from different countries and different parts of the world all the time."
According to Khan, Mayweather is doing a smart move where he is getting a lot of media hype even though no official announcements have been made yet.
As outrageous as it seems, Mayweather's publicity stunts have helped promote his fights, pay-per-view sales and the likes. For Mayweather, what really matters is to be in the public eye.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date