When Will Floyd Mayweather Announce Next Opponent?
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 19, 2014 10:32 AM EST
When will Floyd Mayweather reveal his next opponent? As each day goes by, people are getting more and more anxious to know who he will fighting next, if it is Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana.
After Mayweather launched a poll, asking all boxing fans to vote for his next opponent, the boxing fans thought that he will be announcing the winner as soon as the voting ended on Sunday. Britain's Khan won the poll after getting the majority of more than 36,000 votes. However, several days had already passed, but the 36-year-old undefeated fighter has not said any word as far as his next opponent is concerned.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
All the delays that are happening right now is making Khan restructure his plans and look for other options. Khan told Fight Hype that he is beginning to consider a plan B. Mayweather's strategy of subtly buying time and procrastinating to announce his next opponent makes Khan ponder other possibilities somewhere else.
"I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens," said Khan.
"We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight."
Khan isn't losing his hopes of eventually landing a fight with Mayweather. He said, "The aim and goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards the fight."
Meanwhile, Maidana's manager Sebastian Contursi has reportedly met up with Mayweather's advisor Al Haymon on Monday afternoon, Ring TV reported. However, there are no information yet about how their meeting came about.
"I think that they have to make a decision either today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow," said Contursi.
"They have to make the decision. It's up to them."
Why hasn't Mayweather announced his next opponent, he's the only one who knows. Even though he hasn't announced his fight yet, he has already promoted his fight just by launching a poll. He is already getting a lot of attention from the UK and Argentina.
"He's still promoting the fight in two different parts of the world," said Khan.
"He's getting coverage from different countries and different parts of the world all the time."
According to Khan, Mayweather is doing a smart move where he is getting a lot of media hype even though no official announcements have been made yet.
As outrageous as it seems, Mayweather's publicity stunts have helped promote his fights, pay-per-view sales and the likes. For Mayweather, what really matters is to be in the public eye.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate