When Will Floyd Mayweather Announce Next Opponent?
By Rachelle Corpuz | February 19, 2014 10:32 AM EST
When will Floyd Mayweather reveal his next opponent? As each day goes by, people are getting more and more anxious to know who he will fighting next, if it is Amir Khan or Marcos Maidana.
After Mayweather launched a poll, asking all boxing fans to vote for his next opponent, the boxing fans thought that he will be announcing the winner as soon as the voting ended on Sunday. Britain's Khan won the poll after getting the majority of more than 36,000 votes. However, several days had already passed, but the 36-year-old undefeated fighter has not said any word as far as his next opponent is concerned.
Boxing champion Floyd Mayweather Jr smiles as he greets fans and amateur boxers during a visit to conduct training clinics in Soweto [Reuters/SIPHIWE SIBEKO]
Floyd Mayweather Sr Tells Manny Pacquiao to Leave Bob Arum and Fight Floyd, But the Filipino Fighter May Renew Contract With Top Rank
All the delays that are happening right now is making Khan restructure his plans and look for other options. Khan told Fight Hype that he is beginning to consider a plan B. Mayweather's strategy of subtly buying time and procrastinating to announce his next opponent makes Khan ponder other possibilities somewhere else.
"I'll still fight in May regardless of whatever happens," said Khan.
"We're going to get a Plan B opponent, hopefully take that fight, and still work our way towards a Mayweather fight."
Khan isn't losing his hopes of eventually landing a fight with Mayweather. He said, "The aim and goal is to fight Floyd Mayweather and to keep working towards the fight."
Meanwhile, Maidana's manager Sebastian Contursi has reportedly met up with Mayweather's advisor Al Haymon on Monday afternoon, Ring TV reported. However, there are no information yet about how their meeting came about.
"I think that they have to make a decision either today or tomorrow or the day after tomorrow," said Contursi.
"They have to make the decision. It's up to them."
Why hasn't Mayweather announced his next opponent, he's the only one who knows. Even though he hasn't announced his fight yet, he has already promoted his fight just by launching a poll. He is already getting a lot of attention from the UK and Argentina.
"He's still promoting the fight in two different parts of the world," said Khan.
"He's getting coverage from different countries and different parts of the world all the time."
According to Khan, Mayweather is doing a smart move where he is getting a lot of media hype even though no official announcements have been made yet.
As outrageous as it seems, Mayweather's publicity stunts have helped promote his fights, pay-per-view sales and the likes. For Mayweather, what really matters is to be in the public eye.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation