Australian Stock Market Report – Morning 2/19/14
By Craig James, CommSec Chief Economist | February 19, 2014 10:13 AM EST
US MORNING REPORT
In US economic data, the Empire State manufacturing index eased from +12.51 to +4.48 in February. In December there were capital outflows from the US totalling US$119.6 billion, up from $16.6 billion in November. And the National Association of Home Builders index eased from +56 to +46 in February - the biggest one-month decline recorded.
European shares were again mixed on Tuesday. The FTSEurofirst 300 index fell by 0.1% with the UK FTSE up by 0.9% while the German Dax was flat - up just 3 points. The pivotal ZEW consumer sentiment report in Germany was mixed bur the headline rate fell from 55.7 to 51.7 in January. Mining shares were stronger in London trade with BHP Billiton shares up by 1.9% while Rio Tinto gained 0.3%.
US sharemarkets were mixed on Tuesday as investors dissected latest economic reports and corporate news. While economic data was soft, most analysts attributed the weakness to harsh winter weather, delaying activity. Shares in Coca Cola fell by 3.8%, dragging on the Dow Jones index, in response to weak sales figures. Shares in Tesla Motors rose 2.8% on speculation that Apple may be interested in buying the electric car maker. At the close of trade, the US Dow Jones was down by 24 points or 0.2% but the S&P 500 was up by 0.1% while the Nasdaq gained 28 points or 0.7%.
US long-term treasury prices rose on Tuesday (yields lower) in response to soft economic data. US 2 year yields fell by 2 points to 0.30% while US 10 year yields fell by 4 points to 2.71%.
Major currencies rose against the greenback over the European and US sessions. The Euro lifted from lows near US$1.3700 to US$1.3765 and was near US$1.3755 in afternoon US trade. The Aussie dollar fell from highs near US90.50c to lows near US90.00c, rebounded to US90.45c and settled around US90.30c in afternoon US trade. And the Japanese yen lifted from its weakest levels near 102,72 yen per US dollar to JPY102.24 and was trading near JPY102.35 in afternoon US trade.
US oil prices hit 4-month highs on Tuesday as harsh winter weather on the US east coast boosted heating oil demand. In addition Reuters reported that industry intelligence provider Genscape showed a drop of 1.4 million barrels at Cushing over the week. Brent crude rose by US$1.28 or 1.2% to US$110.46 a barrel while US Nymex crude rose by US$2.13 or 2.1% to US$102.43 a barrel.
Base metal prices rose between 0.1-1.9% on the London Metal Exchange on Tuesday with aluminium up the most and tin up the least. The gold price rose again on Tuesday with the Comex gold futures up by US$5.80 or 0.4% to US$1,324.40 per ounce. The iron ore price was unchanged at US$124.40 a tonne.
Ahead: In Australia the wage price index is released. In the US, minutes of the last Federal Reserve meeting are released with weekly readings on chain store sales and housing finance and monthly producer prices.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date