Federal Government Approves Master Plan 2033 for Sydney Airport in Anticipation of 74 Million Passengers
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 19, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Passengers faced long delays after more than 200 flights were cancelled at UK airports.
YouTube/Media and Transport Channel
The federal government of Australia approved on Tuesday the master plan for Sydney Airport to meet the expected higher number of 74 million passengers the gateway would handle in 2033, up from the 38 million air travelers in 2013.
Sydney Airport Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said the gateway is one of the country's most important pieces of infrastructure and a vital economic engine for Sydney, New South Wales and Australia.
Planning work on improving traffic flow and cutting congestion, including the construction of a new road and exit for Terminal 1 has already started, while the remaining ground transport works, include the building of a new one-way ring road for the Terminal 2 and 3 precinct are expected to be done by 2018, after which works would begin shortly.
Since 2002, Sydney Airport has invested about $2.4 billion to increase service levels, improve safety and security, enhance environmental outcomes and boost capacity to meet the additional demand of the traveling public.
The airport contributes 6 per cent to NSW's economy and provides 300,000 jobs, which would go up to 400,000 jobs by 2033, according to a study by Deloitte.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- While Australian Miners Declare End of Massive Expansion of Iron Ore, Gina Rinehart Bucks Trend & Starts Export From New Mine
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 25, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 25, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 24, 2014
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James