Federal Government Approves Master Plan 2033 for Sydney Airport in Anticipation of 74 Million Passengers
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 19, 2014 9:18 AM EST
Passengers faced long delays after more than 200 flights were cancelled at UK airports.
YouTube/Media and Transport Channel
The federal government of Australia approved on Tuesday the master plan for Sydney Airport to meet the expected higher number of 74 million passengers the gateway would handle in 2033, up from the 38 million air travelers in 2013.
Sydney Airport Chief Executive Officer Kerrie Mather said the gateway is one of the country's most important pieces of infrastructure and a vital economic engine for Sydney, New South Wales and Australia.
Planning work on improving traffic flow and cutting congestion, including the construction of a new road and exit for Terminal 1 has already started, while the remaining ground transport works, include the building of a new one-way ring road for the Terminal 2 and 3 precinct are expected to be done by 2018, after which works would begin shortly.
Since 2002, Sydney Airport has invested about $2.4 billion to increase service levels, improve safety and security, enhance environmental outcomes and boost capacity to meet the additional demand of the traveling public.
The airport contributes 6 per cent to NSW's economy and provides 300,000 jobs, which would go up to 400,000 jobs by 2033, according to a study by Deloitte.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 100% Tuition-Free – Why Germany Is The Envy Of University Students From Other Countries
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday October 1, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 30, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 30, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning, October 2, 2014
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks