‘The Biggest Loser Australia’ Trainer Michelle Bridges Defends Show Over Unnatural Weight Loss Claims
By Anne Lu | February 19, 2014 2:31 AM EST
“The Biggest Loser Australia” trainer Michelle Bridges is defending the show from claims that it promotes “quick fix” for contestants who wanted to lose weight. The uproar began when the U.S. version’s winner, Rachel Frederickson, lost 72 kg in just a few months.
Frederickson weighed 118 kg when she started in the show in October. When the show ended in February, the 24-year-old surprised viewers when she came out weighing only 47.6 kg, about 60 per cent less of her original weight.
Her shocking weight loss was met with criticisms from viewers who thought she became too emaciated.
Some people also claim that the show only promote dangerous rapid weight loss, which the contestants wouldn’t be able to maintain once their stay in the show ends.
But Bridges doesn’t agree. As a trainer in the show since season 2, the 43-year-old personal trainer and author said that the show even helps extend the life of obese people.
“Their life expectancy is better. Seriously, you can refute that,” she told The Telegraph.
“There are people who are no longer taking medication for blood pressure, they are no longer taking medication for diabetes, in some instances they are no longer taking medication for depression, their knees are better, their backs are better, the risk of heart attack and stroke has all been reduced.”
Don’t expect Bridges to watch her own show, though.
“I am so busy I don’t spend that much time watching television,” she explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown