‘The Biggest Loser Australia’ Trainer Michelle Bridges Defends Show Over Unnatural Weight Loss Claims
By Anne Lu | February 19, 2014 2:31 AM EST
“The Biggest Loser Australia” trainer Michelle Bridges is defending the show from claims that it promotes “quick fix” for contestants who wanted to lose weight. The uproar began when the U.S. version’s winner, Rachel Frederickson, lost 72 kg in just a few months.
Frederickson weighed 118 kg when she started in the show in October. When the show ended in February, the 24-year-old surprised viewers when she came out weighing only 47.6 kg, about 60 per cent less of her original weight.
Her shocking weight loss was met with criticisms from viewers who thought she became too emaciated.
Some people also claim that the show only promote dangerous rapid weight loss, which the contestants wouldn’t be able to maintain once their stay in the show ends.
But Bridges doesn’t agree. As a trainer in the show since season 2, the 43-year-old personal trainer and author said that the show even helps extend the life of obese people.
“Their life expectancy is better. Seriously, you can refute that,” she told The Telegraph.
“There are people who are no longer taking medication for blood pressure, they are no longer taking medication for diabetes, in some instances they are no longer taking medication for depression, their knees are better, their backs are better, the risk of heart attack and stroke has all been reduced.”
Don’t expect Bridges to watch her own show, though.
“I am so busy I don’t spend that much time watching television,” she explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- ‘Days Of Our Lives’ (DOOL) Nov. 24 – 28 Spoilers: JJ Decides, Melanie Confronts Chad And Daniel And Nicole Reconcile
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues