‘The Biggest Loser Australia’ Trainer Michelle Bridges Defends Show Over Unnatural Weight Loss Claims
By Anne Lu | February 19, 2014 2:31 AM EST
“The Biggest Loser Australia” trainer Michelle Bridges is defending the show from claims that it promotes “quick fix” for contestants who wanted to lose weight. The uproar began when the U.S. version’s winner, Rachel Frederickson, lost 72 kg in just a few months.
Frederickson weighed 118 kg when she started in the show in October. When the show ended in February, the 24-year-old surprised viewers when she came out weighing only 47.6 kg, about 60 per cent less of her original weight.
Her shocking weight loss was met with criticisms from viewers who thought she became too emaciated.
Some people also claim that the show only promote dangerous rapid weight loss, which the contestants wouldn’t be able to maintain once their stay in the show ends.
But Bridges doesn’t agree. As a trainer in the show since season 2, the 43-year-old personal trainer and author said that the show even helps extend the life of obese people.
“Their life expectancy is better. Seriously, you can refute that,” she told The Telegraph.
“There are people who are no longer taking medication for blood pressure, they are no longer taking medication for diabetes, in some instances they are no longer taking medication for depression, their knees are better, their backs are better, the risk of heart attack and stroke has all been reduced.”
Don’t expect Bridges to watch her own show, though.
“I am so busy I don’t spend that much time watching television,” she explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft