No Yearly Release for GTA Franchise, Says Take-Two Chief
By Aditya Bhat | February 19, 2014 1:51 AM EST
Grand Theft Auto (GTA) will not be a yearly franchise said Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Take-Two Interactive, the distributor of the popular and highly successful game.
In a recent interview with MCV, Zelnick said: "It is great that consumers anticipate our titles, like they anticipate the next James Bond film. Our goal is to create permanent franchises. A few years ago, we'd launch a title, it would be sold physically, then we would sell catalogue versions of it. Today we launch a title, and often - if not always - put out DLC. We've talked about recurrent consumer spending, where we have offerings where fans can engage and spend money on an on-going basis."
GTA not to be an yearly affair, says distributor.
"With GTA 5, we have sold 32.5m units in to date, which is extraordinary. 70 per cent of people that have played GTA 5 while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience. And recurrent consumer spending related to GTA Online represented nearly half of our digitally delivered revenue in the quarter. So people are voting that they want to stay engaged and they are voting with their wallets," he told the website, while speaking on the success achieved by GTA 5.
GTA 5 is an open world video game and is the latest in the franchise. The game was released on 17 September 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. There has been a record 32.5 million units sold so far.
The first GTA was released in 1997 for the original PlayStation, PC and Game Boy Color. GTA 4, the direct predecessor of GTA 5, was released in 2008.
GTA 5 introduces three new characters - Michael, Trevor and Franklin. It also has a online multiplayer online version called GTA 5 Online.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L Rollout Prediction: Nexus 4, Moto X, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S4, LG G2
- ‘GTA 5 Online’ Weekend Event For San Andreas Flight School Update And A Deals With Gold Offer
- 'Assassin's Creed' Update: 'Unity' And 'Rogue' Not A Multiplayer Player Game, Ubisoft Confirms
- Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One M8 Specs And Price Comparison In Australia
- Xbox One And 360 Updates: MTV, Twitch App Announced As New 500GB Hard Drive Gets Revealed
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch