No Yearly Release for GTA Franchise, Says Take-Two Chief
By Aditya Bhat | February 19, 2014 1:51 AM EST
Grand Theft Auto (GTA) will not be a yearly franchise said Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Take-Two Interactive, the distributor of the popular and highly successful game.
In a recent interview with MCV, Zelnick said: "It is great that consumers anticipate our titles, like they anticipate the next James Bond film. Our goal is to create permanent franchises. A few years ago, we'd launch a title, it would be sold physically, then we would sell catalogue versions of it. Today we launch a title, and often - if not always - put out DLC. We've talked about recurrent consumer spending, where we have offerings where fans can engage and spend money on an on-going basis."
GTA not to be an yearly affair, says distributor.
"With GTA 5, we have sold 32.5m units in to date, which is extraordinary. 70 per cent of people that have played GTA 5 while online have played GTA Online, which is a free-to-play experience. And recurrent consumer spending related to GTA Online represented nearly half of our digitally delivered revenue in the quarter. So people are voting that they want to stay engaged and they are voting with their wallets," he told the website, while speaking on the success achieved by GTA 5.
GTA 5 is an open world video game and is the latest in the franchise. The game was released on 17 September 2013 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. There has been a record 32.5 million units sold so far.
The first GTA was released in 1997 for the original PlayStation, PC and Game Boy Color. GTA 4, the direct predecessor of GTA 5, was released in 2008.
GTA 5 introduces three new characters - Michael, Trevor and Franklin. It also has a online multiplayer online version called GTA 5 Online.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Xperia Z3, Z1, Z1 Compact And Z Ultra Latest Firmware 23.0.A.2.108 And 14.4.A.0.155 Certified
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 64-Bit Octa-Core CPU Expected On Samsung Galaxy S6 And Sony Xperia Z4
- Nexus 9 NVIDIA Tegra K1 Beats Nexus 6 Adreno 420, Galaxy Note 4 Mali T-760 In GPU Tests
- Android 5.0 Lollipop SDK Makes Rooting More Difficult And Overriding Impose Serious Risk To Attacks
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop