Syrian Child Refugee Marwan’s Viral Desert Photo Not a Hoax, But 4-Year-Old was Not Far Behind Family
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2014 12:33 AM EST
The photograph of a Syrian child refugee, in which he appeared to walk all by himself in a desert after fleeing the country, stirred a spate of reactions from outraged internet users, who thought that the child was indeed alone in the desert.
Syrian Refugees (Representational Picture)
Acc to UNHCR, little Marwan was found in in Jordan desert w possessions in plastic bag; was later reunited w family. pic.twitter.com/rAUIx82Vxm
— Hala Gorani (@HalaGorani) February 17, 2014
But soon enough, it was revealed that four-year-old Marven was only a few yards away from a group of other people, making their journey across the desert.
Marwan's story is that he was temporarily separated frm his family in d chaos of the mass @refugees x'ing to #Jordan pic.twitter.com/ghmKtoFnYY — Andrew Harper (@And_Harper) February 18, 2014
Andrew Harper, the head of the UN refugee agency UNHCR in Jordon, took the photo and posted it on Twitter, where it hit a nerve with thousands of users; and the picture quickly went viral.
"Here 4 year old Marwan, who was temporarily separated from his family, is assisted by UNHCR staff to cross Jordan", Harper wrote, along with the picture.
The picture was retweeted 1,055 times and 'favorited' 334 times at the time of writing this article.
Harper also told BBC that such scenes were not unusual, while refugees cross the border in "chaos and confusion".
— Andrew Harper (@And_Harper) February 18, 2014
The picture had invited a surge of emotional responses. An individual with a handle @beamartinh said: "Your picture has had great repercussion on Spanish society. Highly emotional event. No words."
But upon discovering that the boy was not really alone as seen in the picture, another person with a profile name 'The Great One' said: "Complete photo opp. Shame on UNHCR for going this low. U want us to believe this kid survived that harsh desert alone!"
The boy has now been reportedly re-united with his family members.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown