Syrian Child Refugee Marwan’s Viral Desert Photo Not a Hoax, But 4-Year-Old was Not Far Behind Family
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 19, 2014 12:33 AM EST
The photograph of a Syrian child refugee, in which he appeared to walk all by himself in a desert after fleeing the country, stirred a spate of reactions from outraged internet users, who thought that the child was indeed alone in the desert.
Syrian Refugees (Representational Picture)
Acc to UNHCR, little Marwan was found in in Jordan desert w possessions in plastic bag; was later reunited w family. pic.twitter.com/rAUIx82Vxm
— Hala Gorani (@HalaGorani) February 17, 2014
But soon enough, it was revealed that four-year-old Marven was only a few yards away from a group of other people, making their journey across the desert.
Marwan's story is that he was temporarily separated frm his family in d chaos of the mass @refugees x'ing to #Jordan pic.twitter.com/ghmKtoFnYY — Andrew Harper (@And_Harper) February 18, 2014
Andrew Harper, the head of the UN refugee agency UNHCR in Jordon, took the photo and posted it on Twitter, where it hit a nerve with thousands of users; and the picture quickly went viral.
"Here 4 year old Marwan, who was temporarily separated from his family, is assisted by UNHCR staff to cross Jordan", Harper wrote, along with the picture.
The picture was retweeted 1,055 times and 'favorited' 334 times at the time of writing this article.
Harper also told BBC that such scenes were not unusual, while refugees cross the border in "chaos and confusion".
— Andrew Harper (@And_Harper) February 18, 2014
The picture had invited a surge of emotional responses. An individual with a handle @beamartinh said: "Your picture has had great repercussion on Spanish society. Highly emotional event. No words."
But upon discovering that the boy was not really alone as seen in the picture, another person with a profile name 'The Great One' said: "Complete photo opp. Shame on UNHCR for going this low. U want us to believe this kid survived that harsh desert alone!"
The boy has now been reportedly re-united with his family members.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery