Mobile Phone Etiquette to Save Your Date
By Prerna Sood | February 19, 2014 12:21 AM EST
Communicating over the phone has become essential in our lifestyle. We wake up to check for calls or messages first in the morning and often sleep with it too. There is no denying in saying that cell phones let us work and plan on the move. But like anywhere else, there is some basic etiquette that you should practice so that you don’t come across offensive.
WikiCommons 2.0 Generic
Man speaking on mobile phone.
Rude cell phone users are almost in every place that gets a signal! Usually, we don’t even realise we’re being indecorous. The continual rise of cell phone addicts has paved way for more impoliteness around us. And prepare for disaster if you practice the same nonchalance on a date. Chances are you’ll end up snubbing your date. So, make sure you stick to some basic rules when are using your cell phone. Here are some tips for you.
Hide That Thing
The best practice is to keep your cell phone tucked away in your pocket/purse. If it’s lying there on the table staring right at you, you won’t be able to get your mind off it. Every time your phone blinks or beeps you will jump to check or if not that, just be restless until you do. Whether you mean it or not, constantly checking your phone when you’re having a meal, watching a movie or just sitting there spending time with your date will come across as plain rude. What’s worse, it gives out the impression that your date is somewhat less important because clearly, you’re not paying them the attention they should get.
Let Them Know
If at all, you do need to take an important call that you just can’t miss, it’s advisable that you let them know beforehand and avoid any embarrassment later. When you do take that call, ensure that you don’t talk too loudly or put your phone speaker. It just serves as a distraction and makes everyone around uncomfortable. If you miss a call that can be handled later, keep it for later. Don’t have an unnecessary phone call when on a date.
Silence is Golden
Cell phones come with a great option to put your phone on vibrate mode. More so, you can switch it off. That’s what you should ideally do when on a date. If you don’t answer a call, the caller can always leave a message on text or voicemail. Show some courtesy and give undivided attention to the person you’re with.
Stay Out of the Social Network
Granted that social networking through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, MySpace, etc keep your circle updated on what you’re upto, the food you’re devouring, places you’re travelling to, instant messaging and blah blah. But, the downside to this is that, too much presence on social media actually makes you boring and irksome. Nobody really cares what food you’re eating or what restaurant you’re visiting. So, put that to a rest, at least when you’re on a date so he/she doesn’t feel like a second priority.
Make Your Date Comfortable
Persistently checking your phone while on a date (or with someone in general) can make the other person feel that you’re not interested. They might even think you’re checking the time because you’re bored or don’t have anything to talk about. So, keep your Facebook status updates, Check-Ins, Tweets, Instagramming for later and save yourself from coming across as a total loser.
Don’t show disrespect for the other person’s time and involvement no matter how much you want to leave!
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People