‘Twitch Plays Pokemon’ - Where you can Watch and Play Simultaneously, Gains13 Million Total Views [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | February 18, 2014 11:42 PM EST
'Twitch for Pokemon' has attracted more than 70,000 people and is still growing. The channel is streaming the MMO co-op version of 1996's classic Pokemon Red.
Twitch users, who have logged in, can affect the gameplay by initiating commands in the comment section, which has been dubbed a "social experiment". Players can control the main character of the game by use of commands in the chat section like 'left' to turn left, 'up' to move up and so on.
Twitch Plays Pokemon was watched by more than 70,000 People
Though the game is slow, uncoordinated, and sometimes the character is simply wandering about, it has still managed to earn four badges. Players were also able to spot 71 Pokemon, while 12 were captured, reports Polygon, quoting the document that is tracking these developments.
The game is heading to the fifth day, and players have cleared Rock Tunnel, entered SS Anne, Lavender Town, Celadon City, Saffron City and Erika's Gym. Players have also bought a Soda Pop.
Readers can also check the statistics page from the channel that gives trivia and viewer information, and the number of button presses. It says that a total of over 2.9 million buttons were pressed by 299,533 unique people so far.
The channel is also available for paid subscription for $4.99. However, people who subscribe cannot expect any special treatment, and they cannot bypass the slow mode restriction.
Twitch is happy that the streaming for Pokemon has done really well. "This is one more example of how video games have become a platform for entertainment and creativity that extends way beyond the original intent of the game creator," said Matthew DiPietro, Vice President of Marketing, Twitch.
"By merging a video game, live video and a participatory experience, the broadcaster has created an entertainment hybrid custom made for the Twitch community. This is a wonderful proof on concept that we hope to see more of in the future," he added, reported GamingBolt.
(Video Courtesy: Twitch Plays Pokemon)
Watch live video from TwitchPlaysPokemon on www.twitch.tv
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Motorola Droid Turbo v. Sony Xperia Z3: Camera Details, Battery Life And Durability
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Motorola Droid Turbo vs. Samsung Galaxy S5: Apps And Services, Camera Features, Battery Life And Durability
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight