‘Twitch Plays Pokemon’ - Where you can Watch and Play Simultaneously, Gains13 Million Total Views [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | February 18, 2014 11:42 PM EST
'Twitch for Pokemon' has attracted more than 70,000 people and is still growing. The channel is streaming the MMO co-op version of 1996's classic Pokemon Red.
Twitch users, who have logged in, can affect the gameplay by initiating commands in the comment section, which has been dubbed a "social experiment". Players can control the main character of the game by use of commands in the chat section like 'left' to turn left, 'up' to move up and so on.
Twitch Plays Pokemon was watched by more than 70,000 People
Though the game is slow, uncoordinated, and sometimes the character is simply wandering about, it has still managed to earn four badges. Players were also able to spot 71 Pokemon, while 12 were captured, reports Polygon, quoting the document that is tracking these developments.
The game is heading to the fifth day, and players have cleared Rock Tunnel, entered SS Anne, Lavender Town, Celadon City, Saffron City and Erika's Gym. Players have also bought a Soda Pop.
Readers can also check the statistics page from the channel that gives trivia and viewer information, and the number of button presses. It says that a total of over 2.9 million buttons were pressed by 299,533 unique people so far.
The channel is also available for paid subscription for $4.99. However, people who subscribe cannot expect any special treatment, and they cannot bypass the slow mode restriction.
Twitch is happy that the streaming for Pokemon has done really well. "This is one more example of how video games have become a platform for entertainment and creativity that extends way beyond the original intent of the game creator," said Matthew DiPietro, Vice President of Marketing, Twitch.
"By merging a video game, live video and a participatory experience, the broadcaster has created an entertainment hybrid custom made for the Twitch community. This is a wonderful proof on concept that we hope to see more of in the future," he added, reported GamingBolt.
(Video Courtesy: Twitch Plays Pokemon)
Watch live video from TwitchPlaysPokemon on www.twitch.tv
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Camilla Parker-Bowles To Become Queen When Prince Charles Accedes To The Throne
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage