‘Twitch Plays Pokemon’ - Where you can Watch and Play Simultaneously, Gains13 Million Total Views [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | February 18, 2014 11:42 PM EST
'Twitch for Pokemon' has attracted more than 70,000 people and is still growing. The channel is streaming the MMO co-op version of 1996's classic Pokemon Red.
Twitch users, who have logged in, can affect the gameplay by initiating commands in the comment section, which has been dubbed a "social experiment". Players can control the main character of the game by use of commands in the chat section like 'left' to turn left, 'up' to move up and so on.
Twitch Plays Pokemon was watched by more than 70,000 People
Though the game is slow, uncoordinated, and sometimes the character is simply wandering about, it has still managed to earn four badges. Players were also able to spot 71 Pokemon, while 12 were captured, reports Polygon, quoting the document that is tracking these developments.
The game is heading to the fifth day, and players have cleared Rock Tunnel, entered SS Anne, Lavender Town, Celadon City, Saffron City and Erika's Gym. Players have also bought a Soda Pop.
Readers can also check the statistics page from the channel that gives trivia and viewer information, and the number of button presses. It says that a total of over 2.9 million buttons were pressed by 299,533 unique people so far.
The channel is also available for paid subscription for $4.99. However, people who subscribe cannot expect any special treatment, and they cannot bypass the slow mode restriction.
Twitch is happy that the streaming for Pokemon has done really well. "This is one more example of how video games have become a platform for entertainment and creativity that extends way beyond the original intent of the game creator," said Matthew DiPietro, Vice President of Marketing, Twitch.
"By merging a video game, live video and a participatory experience, the broadcaster has created an entertainment hybrid custom made for the Twitch community. This is a wonderful proof on concept that we hope to see more of in the future," he added, reported GamingBolt.
(Video Courtesy: Twitch Plays Pokemon)
Watch live video from TwitchPlaysPokemon on www.twitch.tv
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone