‘Twitch Plays Pokemon’ - Where you can Watch and Play Simultaneously, Gains13 Million Total Views [VIDEO]
By Aditya Bhat | February 18, 2014 11:42 PM EST
'Twitch for Pokemon' has attracted more than 70,000 people and is still growing. The channel is streaming the MMO co-op version of 1996's classic Pokemon Red.
Twitch users, who have logged in, can affect the gameplay by initiating commands in the comment section, which has been dubbed a "social experiment". Players can control the main character of the game by use of commands in the chat section like 'left' to turn left, 'up' to move up and so on.
Twitch Plays Pokemon was watched by more than 70,000 People
Though the game is slow, uncoordinated, and sometimes the character is simply wandering about, it has still managed to earn four badges. Players were also able to spot 71 Pokemon, while 12 were captured, reports Polygon, quoting the document that is tracking these developments.
The game is heading to the fifth day, and players have cleared Rock Tunnel, entered SS Anne, Lavender Town, Celadon City, Saffron City and Erika's Gym. Players have also bought a Soda Pop.
Readers can also check the statistics page from the channel that gives trivia and viewer information, and the number of button presses. It says that a total of over 2.9 million buttons were pressed by 299,533 unique people so far.
The channel is also available for paid subscription for $4.99. However, people who subscribe cannot expect any special treatment, and they cannot bypass the slow mode restriction.
Twitch is happy that the streaming for Pokemon has done really well. "This is one more example of how video games have become a platform for entertainment and creativity that extends way beyond the original intent of the game creator," said Matthew DiPietro, Vice President of Marketing, Twitch.
"By merging a video game, live video and a participatory experience, the broadcaster has created an entertainment hybrid custom made for the Twitch community. This is a wonderful proof on concept that we hope to see more of in the future," he added, reported GamingBolt.
(Video Courtesy: Twitch Plays Pokemon)
Watch live video from TwitchPlaysPokemon on www.twitch.tv
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 N9005 Official Android 4.4.2 KitKat XXUFNF4 Firmware Manual Installation
- Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes Release Date, Features Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy Play Set
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]