Why 'Medically Sane' Ethiopian Co-pilot Hijacked and Threatened to Crash the Plane?
By Johnlee Varghese | February 18, 2014 11:10 PM EST
Why exactly was the co-pilot of the hijacked Ethiopian plan seeking asylum in Switzerland? While the reason still remains quite unclear, it has emerged that 31-year-old Hailemedehin Abera Tagegn - in a desperate bid - even threatened to crash the plane.
Police officers stand around hijacked Ethiopian Airlines flight ET 702 at Cointrin airport in Geneva. Reuters
"We thought the co-pilot had gone mad," a Swiss daily quoted a passenger as saying. Francesco Cuomo, a 25-year-old development economist was among the 202 passengers on board the flight ET-702. "The captain was threatening to open the cockpit door and tried to break it down without success. That's when we understood that something serious was going on," he said.
Meanwhile, Swiss daily The Local stated: "In an audio recording the captain of the plane was heard saying 'The pilot is still locked inside the cockpit but he is not armed. He threatened to crash the plane.'"
The co-pilot, after landing the plane in Geneva, scaled down from the cockpit window using a rope and surrendered himself to the Swiss police, asking for asylum.
In the meantime, the Ethiopian government stated that Abera Tagegn had no reason to fear any harm in Ethiopia as he had a clean record.
"So far it is known that he was medically sane, until otherwise is proven through the investigation which is going on right now. We don't see any criminal record.. and there was no reason for him to be prosecuted so there was no reason for him to flee," Ethiopia's information minister Redwan Hussein said.
The Boeing 767-300 plane, which was originally headed to Rome from Addis Ababa, landed at the Geneva airport at 6.02 am local time on Monday. An interesting development in this story would be the reason that forced the co-pilot of the Ethiopian Airlines to take such a criminal action. It is reported that Abera Tagegn has been working with the airlines for the last five years.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles