President's Day: 10 Quotes from Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson
By Johnlee Varghese | February 18, 2014 8:53 PM EST
President's Day, observed on the third Monday of February, honors the nation's founding father and first President George Washington. To a large extend, President's Day is celebrated as Washington 's birthday but some states honor both Washington and Lincoln on the day.
Mount Rushmore Monument/WikiCommons
There are also US states which honor only Washington and Thomas Jefferson, and not Lincoln, on President's Day, while some other states honor all three Presidents.
According to the US national archive records: "In 1968 Congress passed the Monday Holiday Law to 'provide uniform annual observances of certain legal public holidays on Mondays'. Therefore, by creating more 3-day weekends, Congress hoped to "bring substantial benefits to both the spiritual and economic life of the Nation."
So here are 10 quotes from the famous three American Presidents:
George Washington (22 February 1732 - 14 December 1799)
1.Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
2. If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
3. The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
4. Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.
Abraham Lincoln (12 February 1809 - 15 April 1865)
5. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
6. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
7. This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
8. I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
Thomas Jefferson (13 April 1743 - 4 July 1826)
9. If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy.
10. I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS