President's Day: 10 Quotes from Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson
By Johnlee Varghese | February 18, 2014 8:53 PM EST
President's Day, observed on the third Monday of February, honors the nation's founding father and first President George Washington. To a large extend, President's Day is celebrated as Washington 's birthday but some states honor both Washington and Lincoln on the day.
Mount Rushmore Monument/WikiCommons
There are also US states which honor only Washington and Thomas Jefferson, and not Lincoln, on President's Day, while some other states honor all three Presidents.
According to the US national archive records: "In 1968 Congress passed the Monday Holiday Law to 'provide uniform annual observances of certain legal public holidays on Mondays'. Therefore, by creating more 3-day weekends, Congress hoped to "bring substantial benefits to both the spiritual and economic life of the Nation."
So here are 10 quotes from the famous three American Presidents:
George Washington (22 February 1732 - 14 December 1799)
1.Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
2. If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
3. The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
4. Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.
Abraham Lincoln (12 February 1809 - 15 April 1865)
5. America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
6. Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
7. This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it.
8. I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong.
Thomas Jefferson (13 April 1743 - 4 July 1826)
9. If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy.
10. I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists