Del Potro Won’t Play 2014 Davis Cup Due to Prevailing 'Double Standards and Hypocrisy'
By Shruthi SU | February 18, 2014 5:50 PM EST
Juan Martin Del Potro ruled himself out of the 2014 Davis Cup following long standing differences with Argentine Tennis Association (AAT).
"In November I wrote a letter showing my displeasure with the double standards and hypocrisy prevailing around Davis Cup. Since then, nothing has changed, but has gotten worse. Profound changes are needed to correct the mistakes that have been repeated over the years," said the World No. 5.
Argentina will have to win the September playoffs, against a team that's not been decided yet, to retain their World Group status after having been upset by Italy in the first round, which they played without Del Potro.
Del Potro made it clear that he won't be representing Argentina this year. He rubbished reports that suggested he would take part in special circumstances. His relations with the current captain Martin Jaite and teammates including David Nalbandian are sour to say the least.
"I won't permit my name to be used to justify resignations that will only paper over the cracks. I never asked for a [specific] captain and always respected others' decisions even if they didn't respect me," the Tandil native maintained in the open letter to the AAT.
"Out of consideration for the people who follow me, who enjoy tennis, who have a memory and know what I've done in the Davis Cup and Olympic Games, for the sake of the silent majority who like this sport and to stay far way from insulting rivals or punish someone from their country, I will not play the Davis Cup for the rest of 2014."
AAT's president Arturo Grimaldi, on the other hand, said he was surprised by Del Potro's scathing letter. "I'd like to get together with Del Potro and talk with him. People forget what he's done for Argentina," Grimaldi told TyC Sports. "There must be a failing on our part."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0