Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/18/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 18, 2014 5:43 PM EST
The Australian share market closed slightly higher today, as investors digested positive earnings reports from the likes of BHP Billiton (BHP) against numbers which missed the mark from companies such as Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL).
BHP Billiton posts improved iron ore output figures in the December quarter
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rose 7.4 points by close to 5402.2 points. There was no lead from US markets overnight with stock and bond markets closed for Presidents' Day.
In company news, BHP Billiton (BHP) lifted its first half profit by almost 83 per cent to US$8.1 billion while underlying profit increased by 31 per cent to US$7.8 billion, helped by record production from iron ore and lower tax payments. Shareholders will receive a US59c per share dividend, slightly lower than what the market was looking for. BHP shares closed at a 12 month high, up 2.3 per cent to $38.89.
Global packaging giant Amcor Limited (AMC) reported a 21.2% increase in 1H profit to $326.6 million. The result was based on continuing operations, reflecting the demerger of the Australasia and Packaging Distribution business (AAPD) which occurred during the half. Shareholders will receive an unfranked interim dividend of 19.5 cents per share. AMC shares fell 4.2 per cent to $10.33.
Beverage and packaged food company, Coca-Cola Amatil Limited (CCL) issued a worse than expected full year underlying profit of $502.8m. The result was partly held back by difficult trading conditions in the Australian grocery channel and a hefty $404m write-down of its SPC Ardmona assets. A 75% franked final dividend of 32 cents per share will be paid to eligible shareholders on 1st April. CCL shares fell 5.3 per cent today to $11.22.
Minutes from the Reserve Bank of Australia's February board meeting were released today, showing a period of stable rates is likely. The Aussie dollar ended the session at US90.39c.
1.8 billion shares worth $4.8 billion changed hands today.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday August 29, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning August 29, 2014
- Analyst: Slowdown in Home Prices is Good, the Final Stage to Economic Recovery
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge