Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/18/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 18, 2014 5:43 PM EST
The Australian share market closed slightly higher today, as investors digested positive earnings reports from the likes of BHP Billiton (BHP) against numbers which missed the mark from companies such as Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL).
BHP Billiton posts improved iron ore output figures in the December quarter
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rose 7.4 points by close to 5402.2 points. There was no lead from US markets overnight with stock and bond markets closed for Presidents' Day.
In company news, BHP Billiton (BHP) lifted its first half profit by almost 83 per cent to US$8.1 billion while underlying profit increased by 31 per cent to US$7.8 billion, helped by record production from iron ore and lower tax payments. Shareholders will receive a US59c per share dividend, slightly lower than what the market was looking for. BHP shares closed at a 12 month high, up 2.3 per cent to $38.89.
Global packaging giant Amcor Limited (AMC) reported a 21.2% increase in 1H profit to $326.6 million. The result was based on continuing operations, reflecting the demerger of the Australasia and Packaging Distribution business (AAPD) which occurred during the half. Shareholders will receive an unfranked interim dividend of 19.5 cents per share. AMC shares fell 4.2 per cent to $10.33.
Beverage and packaged food company, Coca-Cola Amatil Limited (CCL) issued a worse than expected full year underlying profit of $502.8m. The result was partly held back by difficult trading conditions in the Australian grocery channel and a hefty $404m write-down of its SPC Ardmona assets. A 75% franked final dividend of 32 cents per share will be paid to eligible shareholders on 1st April. CCL shares fell 5.3 per cent today to $11.22.
Minutes from the Reserve Bank of Australia's February board meeting were released today, showing a period of stable rates is likely. The Aussie dollar ended the session at US90.39c.
1.8 billion shares worth $4.8 billion changed hands today.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales