Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon 2/18/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | February 18, 2014 5:43 PM EST
The Australian share market closed slightly higher today, as investors digested positive earnings reports from the likes of BHP Billiton (BHP) against numbers which missed the mark from companies such as Coca-Cola Amatil (CCL).
BHP Billiton posts improved iron ore output figures in the December quarter
The All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rose 7.4 points by close to 5402.2 points. There was no lead from US markets overnight with stock and bond markets closed for Presidents' Day.
In company news, BHP Billiton (BHP) lifted its first half profit by almost 83 per cent to US$8.1 billion while underlying profit increased by 31 per cent to US$7.8 billion, helped by record production from iron ore and lower tax payments. Shareholders will receive a US59c per share dividend, slightly lower than what the market was looking for. BHP shares closed at a 12 month high, up 2.3 per cent to $38.89.
Global packaging giant Amcor Limited (AMC) reported a 21.2% increase in 1H profit to $326.6 million. The result was based on continuing operations, reflecting the demerger of the Australasia and Packaging Distribution business (AAPD) which occurred during the half. Shareholders will receive an unfranked interim dividend of 19.5 cents per share. AMC shares fell 4.2 per cent to $10.33.
Beverage and packaged food company, Coca-Cola Amatil Limited (CCL) issued a worse than expected full year underlying profit of $502.8m. The result was partly held back by difficult trading conditions in the Australian grocery channel and a hefty $404m write-down of its SPC Ardmona assets. A 75% franked final dividend of 32 cents per share will be paid to eligible shareholders on 1st April. CCL shares fell 5.3 per cent today to $11.22.
Minutes from the Reserve Bank of Australia's February board meeting were released today, showing a period of stable rates is likely. The Aussie dollar ended the session at US90.39c.
1.8 billion shares worth $4.8 billion changed hands today.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 17, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone