Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao Facing Darkest Days As ‘Greedy’ Adviser Draws Ire of Promoters, Managers
By Lou Ramon Aguila | February 18, 2014 5:37 PM EST
Michael Koncz, the adviser of Filipino boxing champ Manny Pacquiao, has recently been put on a hot seat after a group of boxing promoters and journalist voiced out their frustration on the way the Canadian adviser mishandling the careers of several boxers under MP Promotions.
Manny Pacquiao could face Mikey Garcia this year
Manila Standard Today reported that boxing promoters and managers are unhappy with the way Koncz is dictating the fate of several boxers under Pacquiao's boxing stable. The dropping of Filipino prospect Ernie Sanchez from a Top-Rank sanction fight in the United States apparently triggers uproars among the big wigs in the Filipino boxing community.
"The final straw was apparently the cancellation of the fight of Filipino boxer Ernie Sanchez in the United States, which came at the last minute. Sanchez was supposed to fight at a Top Rank card two weeks ago, but two days before Sanchez was supposed to leave for Los Angeles, he and his team received word that the fight was cancelled," ABS-CBN News reported.
The group of promoters and managers are planning to declare Koncz persona non grata, barring the Canadian adviser from doing business in the Philippines.
"The promoters and managers are angry because of Koncz's "acts of injustice towards the Filipino boxing community," which reportedly includes mismanaging the careers of some young Filipino fighters," via ABS-CBN News.
Long Time Coming?
According to the wife of Filipino boxing champ Nonito Donaire, Rachel Donaire, Koncz is the reason why Nonito can't fight on Pacquiao's undercards because the adviser tends to pull out fighters whom he has no managerial rights.
"This has been a long time coming," Rachel Donaire said in a Facebook post via ABS-CBN. "Way before this, I have said he needs to stop meddling with other people."
"Koncz has been known to pull fighters off cards that he personally isn't collecting money from. I've seen it with many Filipino fighters, because he wants to collect from all Filipino fighters," she added.
In 2013, Donaire has been rumoured to fight in one of the undercards in Pacquiao's battle with Brandon Rios in Macau, China, but it was later found out that his fight against Vic Darchinyan was later moved weeks earlier.
Pacquiao's legal adviser, Atty Frank Gacal, revealed during his interview with Fight Hype that Koncz is the one to blame for mismanaging Pacman's finances, putting him in terrible tax woes. Gacal also said Koncz has never showed Pacman's contract with Top-Rank, making him a bit suspicious on the true intention of the adviser.
Chino Trinidad, who followed Pacquiao's career way back from his budding days as a boxer, also expressed his disappointment on Pacquiao, who hasn't made any move to reprimand Koncz, whom Trinidad called the dark hours in Pacquiao's life.
"As darkness continues to hover above Manny Pacquiao's head, I pray that one day I will still get to see the man I met 19 years ago," said Trinidad, who has been known in media for his truth advocacy in journalism. "But until then the #FightForTruth continues!" Chino Trinidad said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China