Former Arsenal Midfielder Slams Jose Mourinho's Comments on Arsene Wenger
By Deepak Vikraman | February 18, 2014 4:27 PM EST
Ray Parlour believes Jose Mourinho stepped out of the line with his comments on Arsene Wenger, while adding he wants a "code of respect" to be inculcated between managers.
The Chelsea manager has always been the first to play mind games, doing so with several of his counterparts in the English Premier League already, particularly Manuel Pellegrini of Manchester City.
Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky is challenged by Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie in their English Premier League game, 12 February. Reuters
The Portuguese also targeted Wenger, a long-time rival, calling the Arsenal manager a "specialist in failure" after the Frenchman said Mourinho was playing down his team's chances of winning the Premier League owing to his "fear of failure."
Wenger refused to respond directly to those comments, but did suggest he was embarrassed for Mourinho and Chelsea, with former Arsenal midfielder Parlour coming out in support of his former manager.
"I think there should be a code of respect, like when you respect your fellow players," Parlour told PA Sport. "Everybody's trying to win trophies, everybody's trying to be successful, but sometimes you can go over the top a little bit.
"Whether Jose Mourinho looks back -- and he probably doesn't regret it -- but maybe looks back and says 'Maybe I went too far this time'. If you look at Arsene Wenger's record it's not too bad: two doubles, he won the FA Cup a few times, he had an unbeaten season.
"Everybody knows the last eight or nine years they haven't won a trophy, they're trying to put that right. A lot has changed in the club. They've more or less paid the stadium off and there's lots of opportunity now."
Parlour, though, refuted suggestions, the "mind games" will affect Wenger too much. "Arsene Wenger won't let it bother him," the former Gunners midfielder added. "He's had his say back and that's the end of it.
"That's how Arsene Wenger works. He'll be worrying about his team and getting them prepared for Wednesday night against Bayern Munich.
"It's a much bigger deal than what Jose Mourinho said."
Attention has turned quickly to the epic Champions League clash against Bayern, with Arsenal knocked out by the eventual champions in the last-16 last season on the away goals rule.
However, the tie was probably lost in the first leg at the Emirates, with Bayern managing a 3-1 victory, and Parlour believes getting something in the first leg at home will be crucial to Arsenal's chances of creating an upset.
"Arsenal will have a chance being at home," Parlour said. "I just hope they can do themselves justice and put their grade A game on and give Bayern Munich a game."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet