Japan Snowfall Chaos, Deaths Spurred by Lack of Sufficient Notices, JMA did not Issue Warnings
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 18, 2014 4:25 PM EST
The transport chaos and the number of deaths following the unprecedented snowfall that dumped on Japan is now being blamed on the Japan Meteorological Agency. The agency decided against issuing a Heavy Snow Emergency Warning because it claimed the snowfall did not meet the standards for such a warning.
According to the Yomiuri Shimbun, the agency's outdated warning systems has resulted to 19 deaths, more than 1,600 injured, as well as the massive transport mayhem in Japan.
Weather forecasters had advised residents in the region around Tokyo to brace for more snow later this week.
Yomiuri Shimbun said JMA only issues warnings regarding heavy snow if the forecast meets its criteria of "when the depth of snow is predicted to be a value observed once every 50 years for a prefecture-scale area."
Another requirement that must be met before a warning can be issued is that "warning-class snowfall continues for almost a whole day or more."
The depth of snow in Kofu reached 41 centimetres on Friday evening, meeting the agency's "once every 50 years" benchmark. On Saturday morning, the snowfall stopped, with total accumulation recorded at 114 centimetres.
"We judged the snowfall didn't meet the standards [for warning issuance] because [the warning-class snowfall] was not predicted to continue for a whole day as of Friday evening," the Yomiuri Shimbun quoted an unidentified JMA representative.
For the longest time, JMA patterned its warning issues based on past heavy snow disasters, with origins mainly coming along the Sea of Japan. But the current snowstorm came from a "southern shore low pressure system" that moved northeast over the south coast of the Japanese archipelago.
"Cities that rewrote their snowfall records included Kofu, Yamanashi Prefecture, which was bombarded by 114 cm, Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture, which got 73 cm, Iida, Nagano Prefecture, with 81 cm, Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture with 62 cm, Shiroishi, Miyagi Prefecture, with 42 cm, and Utsunomiya, Tochigi Prefecture, which saw 32 cm," the Japan Times reported.
The agency maintained it is rare that southern shore low pressure will trigger a snowfall for long periods of time in the same region.
"[The agency] will have to consider revising [the warning] standards for each area in a flexible way, by not adopting the same standards for snowy areas and areas that experience little snowfall," Naoya Sekiya, an associate professor at Toyo University, said.
Most often, Japan's local governments will only alert residents when the JMA issued formal warnings.
Apart from the number of dead and injured, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported more than 6,900 people have been trapped as snow blocked roads and railway lines. Deliveries of gasoline have likewise been delayed to some petrol stations because of the impassible roads.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks