India vs New Zealand 2nd Test Results: McCullum Creates History as Match Ends in Tame Draw Despite Kohli Century
By Deepak Vikraman | February 18, 2014 4:14 PM EST
The final day of the second Test might as well not have happened - not from New Zealand's perspective, because Brendon McCullum created history -- but from India's point of view.
Having left deflated after a Day 4 Test match batting masterclass from McCullum and co., India were left with just one option on Day 5 - save the Test and settle for a 1-0 loss in the series.
Virat Kohli led from the front towards that goal, scoring an unbeaten 105 from 135 balls (15x4, 1x6), and thus ensuring at least India would not finish the series with a 2-0 loss, after New Zealand had set the away side a you're-never-gonna-get-it target of 435 from 67 overs.
In the morning, New Zealand, predictably elected to continue batting, with McCullum within touching distance of becoming the first Kiwi batsman to score a triple hundred.
Resuming his innings on 281, with New Zealand 571 for six, McCullum hit his stride without too much trouble, with James Neesham, at the other end, looking equally good.
Neesham was the first to get to his landmark, scoring a hundred on debut, before a couple of deliveries later, the whole stadium stood in applause as McCullum, playing the innings of his career, reached that magical 300-run mark with a boundary, cutting Zaheer Khan to third man with aplomb.
The celebrations finally came to the fore, after rather subdued raising of the bats following his hundred and double hundred. Having put New Zealand firmly in the driver's seat, from a we-are-never-going-to-survive position, the celebrations were well and truly earned.
Inevitably, McCullum, with body and mind as tired as it can be, fell just a couple of deliveries later, edging one off Zaheer through to MS Dhoni - but with the job done and a momentous 559-ball 302 (32x4, 4x6) to his name, the walk back to the pavilion could not have been sweeter.
"Very satisfying, very respectful of all the guys I got past," McCullum said during the presentation ceremony after being named the man of the match. "Almost embarrassed to go past Martin Crowe. Incredibly humbling to get my name there and score the first triple. Thanks to all those who supported me through it all, especially the boys."
Neesham (137 n.o., 154b, 20x4) tonked a few just to add to India's misery as New Zealand declared on 680 for eight.
The target of 435 was never really achievable, with New Zealand given hope of pulling off a stunning victory after the openers - Shikhar Dhawan and Murali Vijay - went in the space of an over.
Dhawan (2) was given lbw off Trent Boult while shouldering arms, while Vijay (7) edged one soon after to the slips off Tim Southee.
Cheteshwar Pujara (17, 50b, 3x4) and Kohli settled the nerves amongst the Indian camp with a 44-run partnership from 17 overs, before the former gloved one to wicketkeeper Watling off Southee.
India were in a we-can-still-lose-from-here-you-know position at that moment, but Rohit Sharma (30, 87b, 4x4) showed good resolve and with the impregnable Kohli at the other end, the match petered out to a draw with India finishing on 166 for three.
A big series win for New Zealand, their first against India since 2002-03, while Dhoni and co. are left to ponder about yet another away series loss.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports